Monday 23 July 2007

Prospects, or Lack Thereof

So the American guy appeared a week and a half ago to ask me what I was doing this week, but then radio silence ensued when I responded. He then reappeared to ask me if I had pulled in Ibiza, and now has disappeared again. We had spoken about his being my plus one at a music festival this weekend – I didn’t imagine that, because he said he’d handle the logistics of getting there -- and I find myself unsure of what to do. Yes, I’ve read “He’s Just Not That Into You.” That’s why I hate the idea of e-mailing to see if we are still on – because it appears we very obviously are not.

Behind Door No. 2 we have an English lawyer working in the London office of an American firm – which is bringing me very forcefully and very exactly back to my time in DC. Why? After being sent to Geneva and Paris for work (though not when I was in Paris for work), he has returned to London to cancel on me not one, not two, but three times because of work. This last time he did get bonus points for sending a text message saying he swears if work intervenes again on Thursday – when we are attempting to reschedule – he will throw himself under a car and we can at least get a cup of tea in the emergency room.

And behind Door No. 3 we have the English internet consultant I went out with Saturday. He’s the one I am the least interested in, so of course he is the nicest, most thoughtful, and most persistent. Yes, send therapist recommendations to the e-mail address at the right.

2 comments:

  1. Arg... unfortunately, there is no getting around it - these are the pathetic dating rituals of humans. It's frustrating, at times demeaning, but really, we all want to find that special someone, and therefore, you gotta keep plugging long, my friend.

    A strangers 2 cents: Ignore the American, he's clearly not worth your time, though be prepared for him to clamor once he realizes he's being ignored. Door #2, while frustrating, is at least considerate enough to actually cancel and make a witty remark about his faults. Maybe one more chance? Door #3 could help you take your mind off #1 and #2, and might introduce you to cute friends, cousins, or associates once you tell him that you'd like to 'just be friends.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former English lawyer I can attest to the crazy work demands they have so he's probably not dicking you about. Is he worth the aggro though - maybe one more chance??

    Good luck.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete