Tuesday 23 October 2007

Tonight in LA

There are decisions to be made – lots of them – and as usual, I don’t want to make them.

So I’m up in the middle of the night -- and with the worst ever case of the flu -- thinking.

Which friend do I want to spend Christmas with, and where? (Yes, I am very grateful to have options, but I wish I didn't have to decide now.) Do I want to live in Los Angeles for three months? Could I live in Los Angeles for three months? What if I hate it? As my sister wisely pointed out, if I don’t want a career at this magazine, why am I even thinking about it? And most worryingly, what if they don't let me come back to London?

I would do it in a heartbeat, I think, if it weren’t three months. A month? Sure. Two months? Oh, why not – especially when you consider I’d be swapping London for LA in January. But three months is a long time – a quarter of a year. It’s barely been four months since everything ended with the Fig, and frankly, it seems like eons.

I’m terrified of driving. I’m terrified of driving and Blackberrying at the same time, which is all anyone in our Los Angeles office seems to do. I’m a little scared of working harder than I ever have in my life, but mostly I’m scared of being absolutely crap at it no matter how hard I work. (Just because I don’t want to spend my life doing it doesn’t mean I want to be crap at it, especially when top editors will be watching.)

The plus side: It would be an adventure. I’m not sure that’s enough of a draw, but at the same time I can’t seem to turn this opportunity down so easily.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... For me the decision to live in LA or not would all depend on WHERE I was going to live. Santa Monica? I'M THERE IN A HEARTBEAT! Riverside? Forget about it!

    This is a toughie. No guarantee of going back to London?

    Then again... Now that you're a skinny-mini you'll blend in with the LA crowd quite nicely. ;)

    Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three months was a quarter of a year when you were, like, in college and a year was a significant chunk of your life. Now it's five minutes. As you say: It's an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben Harper, Christina Aguilera, Franz Ferdinand, Indigo Girls, Kelly Clarkson, Pink and Raccoon have all sung about it. (and those are just the ones in MY iPod)

    "Walk Away"

    ReplyDelete