Monday 10 November 2008

The Last Vestiges

Just a quick one, as I am freaking out about my appointment in Croydon tomorrow for indefinite leave to remain in the UK (aka residency) – and about the impending layoffs at my company. I’ll freak out less about the latter if I am awarded the former, let’s put it that way.
Yesterday morning after breakfast I volunteered to go to the corner shop for a few items we needed. We were going out later and could have gotten them together, but for some reason it seemed really important to me that I go out – alone – and purchase them.

When I left the house I felt this great rush of joy and anticipation. I walked down the street wondering why, and then it hit me: It’s a vestigial bingeing behavior. It’s still absolutely automatic for me to grab any legitimate excuse to leave the house and go off on my own to a shop.

I felt a strange rush of emotion at this realization – part sadness, part pride, part relief. At the shop I bought the items we needed – plus a single 35g bar of Green & Black’s for me for later. I still haven’t eaten it yet.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh I can sure relate to the solo shop thing :)

    Best of luck with your indefinite leave! My tip is to take at least twice the amount of evidence they ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when I saw Shauna had got in first as I was going to say - remember her problems and take LOADS of evidence!

    Good luck with that and well done on the food front.....I so wish I was there at the moment. Every day is a battle.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete