Thursday 24 March 2011

After the Storm

I've been thinking a lot lately about the apparent connection between binge eating and the tendency (well, my tendency) to let problems become disastrous or otherwise five-star alarm before sorting them out.

I do it with my (messy) flat. I do it, embarrassingly, with my teeth (I thought about this in the dentist's chair today). I sometimes don't open all my mail. I avoid making choices until, often, I have one all but forced upon me, either by time or necessity or something else beyond my control.

When I'm bingeing, of course, I'm too tired and disgusted and busy feeling worthless to do much else. But when I'm not bingeing, I still don't look after my affairs the way an adult should. (Yes, I am exhausted from working until midnight a lot of nights, and spending a lot of my time doing things I don't want to do. But that really isn't an excuse to have a flat messy enough that no one can come in.)

Is it because I think I've accomplished enough and struggled enough by not bingeing, and therefore should be granted cosmic credit from the universe that absolves me from doing un-fun chore-type things? Or is it connected, in some way, to shame? All of these things – and bingeing, too, of course – are deeply embarrassing. I was marinating in shame sitting in the dentist's chair today, with more cavities than arelatively privileged 35-year-old woman in from a First World country ever ought to have. (Yes, you can insert joke about British teeth here. I'm too busy fearing tomorrow's wisdom tooth extraction...)

Life would be so much simpler and cleaner (in all sense of the word) and dare I say easier if I would just do a little more footwork. A little cleaning here and there and I wouldn't have to make up elaborate excuses why people can't come over, or fear something going wrong in my flat because it's too messy to call the super. A little more dealing with choices (mail, dates, whatever) and just finishing making an actual decision – instead of just thinking about – and I could rid myself of the stress of knowing I need to make a decision. Etc. Etc Etc.

I feel like if I could isolate why it is I do this to myself I would have an important piece of information about why I binge; why the tendency is there. Why do I feel (a) like I have earned some kind of right to a free pass that keeps me from having to do these things, (b) the need to be shamed (because clearly, on some level, I feel that), and (c) that I can put up with the consequences of living the way that I do. (Yes, I'm sure the latter two are linked.)

Anyway. As you might have guessed from the above there's been a lot of navel-gazing going on in Bethville. I've lately been beset by a huge case of what-the-hell-does-it-all-matter (I'm referring to weight here), and – wait for it – shame that I obsess about it so much. But that's a subject for another post, I suppose.

***

Thanks for the kind words on the run. I do actually know about the trick of wearing extra layers to chuck off at the start, except the New York half required you to wear your race bib on your outermost layer at all times. I also did a reasonably good job of cleaning out clothes I'd like to throw away in the move and, um, still haven't unpacked most of my non-winter boxes. (See shame, as above.)

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if it is a ying-yang type of thing? Maybe you have to be so tightly in control/dealing with so many details/feeling the weight of responsibilities (e.g. your job?) that when you are faced with added tedium, you just say f*ck it. That is just my guess...it is the source of many of my binges. I get so caught up in doing everything "right" for everyone else sometimes- the bingeing became a way to let loose - a way to compensate (crazily) for doing so many things that I didn't want to do. I'm working on it...

    Hope your wisdom tooth extraction goes okay - I always used to say to my patients, "At least they can never grow back!"

    Debbie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exactly this way. I have never been able to put my finger on why I can't (or won't) keep a clean house, why I let the bathroom become filthy before giving in to clean it, why I do the bare minimum to pay bills and keep my life (and my family's life) in order. And, why I let my weight get so out of control.

    The only thing I have ever come up with is that I expected a different life. I never thought I'd be scraping by at 45. I expected to have a housekeeper, and a nice car, and enough money to go on vacations and save money for my kids' college. I've had none of those things. I sound like a spoiled brat. If you met me in person, I do not come across as that, but I think I passive-agressively take it out on my house, the finances and my body. I eat out of the sheer frustration of dreams shattered and hopes dashed.

    That probably isn't any help. I'm a little astounded that someone else is like me. It feels like I'm the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I'm that last-minute kind of girl myself. My colleague was telling me that the theme tune for Poirot still strikes fear into her because it heralded Sunday night and she'd not done her homework. I think there's a lot of procrastination about. And somehow - I find that dieting and finance go hand in hand, if one's out of control the other usually is too. And also that general tiredness/malaise causes me to think I don't have the energy to keep on top of stuff - and when I give up, I do spectacularly.

    Good luck with the wisdom tooth.

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tidy house, tidy mind is my mantra. Do I always stick to it? - of course not, but I feel much better when I do.
    If you can afford it, get a cleaner. It's the best feeling ever coming home to a clean flat. However I've not got around to arranging a cleaner to come even though I've been meaning to sort it for an age. That said, I definitely can't afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same. In fact it is a distinct warning to me if I see a bench full of dishes. I think it's related to depression and I'm slowly learning to catch it early. I also do it with my studies. Feel overwhelmed enough to watch TV all day (which SO really helps that assignment get written)... At the moment I'm also in real disaster recovery mode (earthquake, again) and it's a mission to keep things moving. But, it doesn't take a natural disaster to make me 'give up' and surrender to mess and disorder.
    I was thinking about biochemistry last night and entropy, which is essentially the 'messed-up ness' of the energy in the universe. More entropy = less energy. Less entropy/more organisation = more energy. I'm trying to keep that in mind. Even when I'm exhausted, a bit of order can make things seem more achievable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came back to see if you posted about your extraction (it's the dentist in me, I suppose). I hope you're okay.

    I'm still thinking about your post, and looking at what I do. In binge mode, it all goes to pot - I neglect all sorts of stuff - I check out and run away from the responsibility/reality of it all. When I am on track, I manage to get all sorts of extra things done and feel as though I'm facing up to stuff I don't want to do. And then eventually I crack (maybe from all the pressure to do everything)and go into sloth-mode again. All or nothing...

    I would say you need to give yourself credit for getting back into your running groove - putting that high on your to-do list is quite significant. The fact that the chores have lower priority than exercise is great - definitely not something to gloss over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope the wisdom teeth went well - I had just one extracted last friday and today is the first day that the pain has been bearable. My wishes are with you on that Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend (tended?) to do this with my financial situation - for me, it is all about denial. If you ignore something it doesn't exist, right? Same way I avoid mirrors and pictures when I'm not happy with my body, and the scale when I know I won't like the numbers. I'm doing better with the $$ stuff, but really, that is only by virtue of the luck of the fact that I have a job that pays me enough that money isn't much of a worry right now. I don't think I'll be getting a new body or metabolism anytime soon, so I should probably figure out a better method of dealing with the weight stuff...

    ReplyDelete