Sunday 18 November 2012

The Cake Made Me Do It


Last night I left a party as if the cake were chasing me.

I’d eaten dinner and was doing fine ignoring the nibbles passed on trays – something I am reasonably good at. But then came the cake, three layers, with icing in between.

I stared at the slices, bargaining with myself. It’s just a piece of cake, I thought.

Before I could think it through, there was a waiter, offering me a piece. I shook my head no thank you, deciding that I’d go find another piece if I concluded I had to have it.

A woman I was chatting with was eating a piece and saying how good it was, and that I had to try it. I’ve walked by this bakery a lot and never had one of their cakes.

I began thinking about finding a piece, or whether I could swipe a bit of frosting from somewhere. And that’s when I knew.

I don’t expect never to eat cake again. But last night I knew it was not going to stop with the one slice of cake. It was going to be all of downtown Manhattan.

And I just couldn’t do it. The thought of getting and then eating all that food made me want to lay down on the floor and cry. As did the thought of starting over yet again.

I tried to bring my mind back to the party, but all I could think about was the cake. I thought about what I would be missing by leaving – the potential conversations I wouldn’t have; the people I met I might never see again because I hadn’t said goodbye and swapped numbers.

I thought about how shitty and rude it was to leave a party without thanking the hosts.

And then I left – quickly, quietly – anyway. Because as bad and ridiculous and embarrassed as I feel for having to leave in that manner, and having to leave because of cake, I would feel a whole lot worse if I’d started a binge there. And you could argue that if I’d started a binge there I would essentially have left the party anyway, even if my body physically still was present.

The party was maybe a half a mile from my apartment – a distance I usually would have walked. But I took a cab, because I didn’t trust myself not to eat my way home.

I got home and thought briefly about the peanut butter in my cabinets.

I putzed around on the Internet until finally it occurred to me that if the goal was to get to bed without bingeing I would do better with it if I got to bed sooner.

This morning I woke up more than halfway through a binge. But that one, I’m relieved to say, was only a dream. 

7 comments:

  1. Well done!! There is no shame in putting you and your needs first for a while. You are doing something which is extremely important and that is trying to get yourself well. Parties and conversations can wait.

    I'm so proud of you hon.

    big hugs.

    Lesley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, you should be proud of yourself, you recognised the signs and you stopped before you started. Keep us updated...you have a fanclub here wishing you well every step of the way x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! Realizing the process that your mind takes you seems like a strong factor toward getting out of that rut. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember like over a decade ago in a Weight Wathchers meeting, this woman talked about going to bed in order to stop eating.. I have done this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every night I go to bed to stop eating...I have an eating curfew I set and I get anxious if I can't have my last meal of the day before then because it means a later breakfast the following day...I have to have so many hours between last meal of one day and first meal of the next. These are among many of the little eating rules that dictate my life. But help keep me on track...I've decided it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting... I actually struggle to get to bed if I'm hungry, but also can't really go to bed when I'm not tired... I have this problem where I get a second wind late at night, always. Btw, the nutritionist's rule is that I have to have breakfast within an hour of getting up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I don't sleep, I'll read or watch something...

    I find if I eat too early then I'm insatiable all day and being up by 7 means a lot of hungry

    These are by the way my own rules from my experiences, trial and error, I'm certainly not making recommendations.

    I'm a nutjob, it's not a happy life, and I still slip, but I try to make sure that one bad day doesn't entirely derail me. sigh

    ReplyDelete