Tuesday 4 April 2006

The Girl I Mean to Be

I’m not even close to ready for spring – I prefer to hide behind layers of clothing – but you wouldn’t know it from the act of lunacy I committed today.

On a Tuesday – deadline day, no less – I raced to the hinterland of Zone 4 on my lunch hour to buy a ₤12 white broderie anglaise dress (shown here in blue) that I was betting would sell out unless I went right that minute. After all, it’s been in a couple of magazines, white is the color of summer, and the dress is, as they say here, cheap as chips.

Never mind that:

1. White is not a flattering color if you are at all overweight.
2. I usually think broderie anglaise is just a fancy way of saying “dust ruffle.”
3. The dress has cap sleeves, a cut flattering only to people whose arms are tan, toned, and otherwise barely distinguishable from those in magazine articles on how to tone up one’s arms for summer.

Apparently I’m shopping for the person I wish I looked like, instead of the person I currently look like.

At least I went to the gym tonight…

1 comment:

  1. Don't we all shop for that person at least some of the time? Doesn't the entire fashion industry depend on that person?

    Where is Zone 4??? Are you in Iraq?

    ReplyDelete