Tuesday 3 April 2007

Calling Miss Manners, Part II

Last night I was invited to attend an executive women’s dinner at Soho House in London. I don’t know what it is about people thinking it is polite to say (as they do, particularly when you can tell they think they’re very smart), “I never read [insert name of my publication.]” Usually in a very flat tone and with a very particular smile that suggests they are being indulgent to a small child just by speaking with me.

I realize I’m sensitive because I take this as a comment on my own intelligence, instead of just some socially inept, insecure women. Upon meeting other people with vaguely unusual career choices – or choices I don’t understand – I don’t say, “Damn, I hate going to the dentist,” or “I’d never create an online personality.” (At least, I wouldn’t say that the first time we met!)

When faced with the “I never read” comment, I usually just laugh and change the subject, but I’m becoming increasingly irritated. Suggested responses appreciated. I’ll be hunting down some Crackerjacks (as rare in London as Peeps at Easter, which is to say nonexistent) for a prize for the 50th respondent.

2 comments:

  1. How about responding with a lean foward and then a quiet "Yes, I could tell." accompanied by the look like you might give someone when you are quietly pointing out their fly is down or they have toilet paper stuck to their shoe.

    Or you could be a bit more overtly offensive. Something like "Oh, you should, then you would know not to [insert comment that would refer to knowledge Miss Uppity would have if she read your publication].

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes get "I can't believe you work at [insert name of my publication]." The last time I just smiled slightly quizzically and said, "Really? Why?" and watched them fumble out an answer. Then I said, quizzical smile still in place, "Huh!"

    Of course that doesn't really work for your variation of the question. I would just say, "Okay."

    ReplyDelete