Friday 17 April 2009

Trust

First, an apology for the bitty-ness (bittiness?) of late. I’m struggling with some difficult decisions of the sort that cannot be summarized neatly (or even messily) in a blog entry. There is too much history, and frankly, too much present. And I am so very, very tired.

I need to do something about BN2. I know that I do. And yet I can’t. I am a reasonably intelligent 33-year-old woman who survived life perfectly fine without a boyfriend until BN2 came along. In fact, I think I survived better. I said to him several months ago – with the sort of honesty I am increasingly less inclined to, given the results it’s brought thus far – that I wasn’t myself around him. I’m not sure I’m myself around anyone these days. Who am I? I’m not sure I recognize this person who… this person who is too embarrassed to finish the sentence because it isn’t pretty.

A friend got engaged today and I felt – reader, I am ashamed to say – an overwhelming dose of self pity. Her life is moving forward and mine, it seems, is moving back. I know that the longer I stay in this relationship the more damage it is doing, and the longer it will take to recover and maybe, just maybe, find my own happy ending.

Why is it that I cannot just say: “I am unhappy. I’m leaving”? Why do I think I need a smoking gun to leave – something I can point to that is so glaring and awful that of course I would be justified in leaving? (A couple of friends who’ve heard my stories would say that he’s already given me plenty of justification.) Why do I feel the need to have external sources (my friends, my counsellor) ratify my feelings? As a good friend said at dinner the other night: “It doesn’t matter if other people think what he did wasn’t normal. [I was asking her opinion on an incident that has disturbed me deeply.] You were hurt by his behavior, and that’s all that matters.”

I fear the emptiness and the loneliness. I fear the unstructured days with not enough work – or not challenging enough work – to take my mind off things.

And yet. Last night BN2 insisted on a night apart (something he never does, which made me instantly suspicious). I didn’t want to sit in my horrible messy little flat and I wasn’t sure who to call: Frankly, I’ve cancelled on so many friends at the 11th hour (see “who is this person?” above) because of him and some fight or another that I’ve been feeling isolated. (A vicious circle…) And around midday, I got an email from a casual acquaintance I’ve met up with a couple of times. I’d emailed her a couple of days ago about a 10k I’m planning to run (the British 10k, in case anyone else is doing it) to see if she wanted to join. She wrote back saying if I wasn’t doing anything that night, I should come up to Hampstead for drinks with she and some friends.

I thought then of a conversation I’d had with my counsellor, about my need to over-control things because I fear not getting what I need. (Or because I fear there won’t be enough.) Because of my Troubled Childhood (capitals to show I am aware this phrase is somewhat ludicrous when most people would consider it privileged), I grew up believing the universe was not a benevolent place – that I’d have to fight to survive, and that I could only count on myself.

“You need to let go a little and trust that you’ll get what you need,” my counsellor told me.

Last night wasn’t a remarkable night – it was some banter with four other people at a (ok, slightly remarkably cute) pub. As we left the moonlight on the damp cobblestone path made it look otherworldly – not out of place in a Harry Potter or Twilight ad, frankly. It certainly seemed like another world to me – one in which I had, just a tiny bit, started to trust.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Beth-

    I've read your blog for ages and never commented. This is probably a bit too much self-disclosure, but your blog is the first one I check each day. I think I'm drawn to your honesty and I see much of myself in your experiences. I hate that you are going through such a tough time right now. I think you are so courageous to examine your life so fully.

    I don't have any words of wisdom- I just want you to know that you have people who care about you. (Even someone in North Carolina.)

    Blessings-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had a 'troubled childhood' and didn't trust life. I also discovered, by accident as I thought I was an atheist, that I was furious with god.

    Here's what has worked for me and take it or leave it as you will. I discovered via a very bizzare path that I was responsible for my own life. I had the power to choose. I wasn't just at the whim of fate/god/life. I could affect my life.

    Obviously shit happens to us all (as do marvellous things) but the choice of how we respond to it is ours.

    The other truly lovely thing about this is that you can give everyone else their shit back. They are responsible for their choices and actions. You are not. Parents, lovers, friends, relatives can all have their shit back wrapped in a big bow.

    It doesn't mean you don't care about others people. It actually makes it easier when you are not drowning in shite!

    So trust in life, yes. Trust life to send you good and bad stuff. If you want more good stuff than bad then grab life by the balls and give it a good shake. You have to be active in your own life.

    And there is my sermon for the day. LOL!

    ps Since having this revelation (to me anyway) and shaking some balls I've gone from suicidal, very fat 21st9, unemployed and single to losing 100 pounds, marrying in August, job I love and most importantly mostly happy. There's nout special about me so why not give it a go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah honey, I'm so sorry that you're feeling so - anguished (it sounds like). Don't feel pressurised to make choices for anyone but you. I think BN2 is a dickhead and needs a slap (preferably administered by me) but no-one knows all the nuances except you. Glad you ended the day/weekend on a more positive note anyway.
    love
    Peridot x

    PS Know just what you mean about engagement news. Exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been divorced for 4 years and I STILL periodically require validation from friends/family that I did the right thing, but not as often as I used to. I can empathisize with your engagement envy - I am in my 40s and think about days in the future (childrens' wedding days, graduations) when I will be alone and I feel sorry for myself. But then I think about the alternative - being part of a couple, but with the miserable SOB who made me so unhappy for all of those years - and I realize that for me, leaving was the right thing to do.
    My ex was famous for telling me that I had no reason to be unhappy. He didn't cheat, drink, gamble, take drugs, so why was I so sad? Because he was abusive in so many other insidious ways, and I just decided finally that I needed to be with someone who really liked and loved me, or be alone. And being alone (but not lonely) has been liberating.
    You seem like such a great person - you deserve happiness - don't cheat yourself out of the chance to find it. Don't settle - you'll regret it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading this blog for a couple of years now as a lurker, with great enjoyment, but honestly I think if I don't comment I won't respect myself. Everything you say about BN2 (and I suspect it isn't half of it) screams abuse. Cheating/ making it all your fault/ constant criticism/ constant uncertainty/ isolation from friends/ inability to leave and on and on. I don't know you -- only the sliver of you that you show in your blog -- but please get out of that relationship. Get some help. Get to a friend or a counselor and get some help getting free. Delete this comment if you need to, but I have a friend who nearly died in a relationship like this. I won't see it happen to someone else, even someone I know only virtually, and stay uncomfortably silent.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete