Friday 10 April 2009

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

I have a plaster on my left index finger from a zipper injury.

I haven’t had a zipper injury since before November 2006, when I began This Thing I’m Doing. (Or lard-busting, as Shauna would call it. Has it really been over two years? I can hardly believe it.) I used to have them all the time, accidentally gouging the skin on my index finger when trying to zip up too-tight jeans/trousers/dresses. When times were particularly desperate – when said jeans/trousers/dress was the only thing in my closet close to fitting – I could do such damage to my finger it would take days to heal. And the injury would smart when I typed and when anything touched it, reminding me throughout the day what a fat pig I was – that I’d eaten my way out of fitting into a single thing I owned.

It was grim.

Today’s injury was from trying to zip the damn £7 Temperley dress. It fit once, when I tried it on in the morning, before I ate anything. Now I’ve become slightly obsessed with it (you would, too, if you were sitting at your computer, procrastinating on writing two stories you wish you’d never pitched in the first place). Not good. I was doing just fine carrying along as I have been – don’t need to start getting into the cutting back here and there behavior that will no doubt lead (do not stop, do not pass go) directly to a binge. I’ve vowed not to try it on again until May 1. If it doesn’t fit then, I’ll either investigate letting it out a bit or eBay it.

3 comments:

  1. Yea if there are items of clothing in your closet that drive you crazy, I would say let them out or sell them

    With that being said, I'm hypocritical in that I have a pair of jeans that will not go up my butt. But I'm thinking that i love my butt as is and maybe should ship those pants on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so tired of clothes! If they fit, they get worn out so quickly, because I have so few items that fit! I made the mistake in Nov. 2007 of giving away all of my 30/32 size clothes (yes, US sizes. horrible isn't it?) when I couldn't fit them anymore. I was almost down to a 22/24 on top and bottom. Little did I know I would get PREGNANT that month! Now I have an 8 month old little girl and not many clothes that look good on me. Clothes suck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tyranny of inanimate objects - it's amazing what power we give such things! I can literally be tortured over clothes. Well, maybe not literally - they don't pull my fingernails out or anything but I agonise over them in my mind, over and over.

    I am Queen of Procrastination myself but get writing! You have a talent to make anything seem interesting when you write so know this and go for it!

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete