Saturday 14 November 2009

Dinner on the Run

“You look done in,” said my friend as I turned up to the bar at about 10:30 pm.

I was – not that I’d tell him why.

About 8 pm I’d met up for drinks – translation: cranberry juice for him and diet Coke for me – at a pub in Bloomsbury with my friend O. We nearly always meet for dinner, and it’s always at 8, so I assumed we’d be eating. But it was never mentioned, and something in me couldn’t bring myself to bring it up. (For the record, O knows a little bit about my eating history, and he’s certainly seen me along the entire 90-lb.-plus weight loss journey.) Despite a day of ridiculously poor eating (carbs for breakfast, chocolate for snack, carbs for lunch, chocolate for snack) I wasn’t starving. I kept asking myself: Am I hungry, as if probing a sore spot in my mouth with my tongue to see if it hurts.

It was distracting, frankly. If I’d just said I needed to eat and then ordered some dinner, I could stop thinking about it. But because I hadn’t I kept almost checking out of the conversation, assessing my hunger level and wondering if maybe I could skip the meal entirely.

O set off to meet up with his girlfriend just before 10, and as he kissed me on the cheek I was already thinking about where I was going to get food. I wasn’t starving the way I usually might be at that hour, but still I had the can’t-think-can’t-breathe-must-have-food-now feeling. I headed toward the Holborn tube, remembering that there was a Sainsburys central right by it. There was – but it closed at 10 pm, and I’d missed it by minutes.

Just as I was crossing the road to the (closed) supermarket, I got a phone call from two friends inviting me to join them at a restaurant/bar in Covent Garden. Perfect.

I knew I could eat there – I have before – but for some reason the idea of getting there, doing the obligatory few minutes of polite chit-chat before announcing I was starving and had to eat, getting a menu, ordering and waiting for food made me want to lay down in the road and cry. I wanted to eat, and I wanted to eat right then.

I went into three different newsagents, all of whom appeared to sell the same grim-looking sandwiches on white bread with far too much mayonnaise, not to mention chemicals I couldn’t pronounce. My local newsagent at least sells bread and other bread products – why couldn’t these, I fumed. I felt resentful at the thought of eating any of them. I went into a fourth newsagent and made the executive decision that I’d just have to deal with what was there. I looked at biscuits and nuts and crisps and felt the familiar tidal wave of wanting it all threatening to crush me. What could I eat that would be remotely satisfying? I couldn’t think. That’s when I knew I had to stop thinking and just choose. It’s one meal, I told myself. It isn’t your last meal. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Just eat it and move on.

I picked up an oat and honey flapjack, a 45g package of m&ms (protein! Ha!), and – to balance things out (ha again!) – a Granny Smith apple. Six hundred calories – about my usual amount if I’m eating at home. But oh the drama. Note to self: Wouldn’t it be easier and less painful just to ask about dinner earlier?

3 comments:

  1. ! How familiar that post sounded ! I'm not laughing at you, because I know the feelings you described all too well ! I give you credit for at least attempting to find something decent! I guess live and learn huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, on every level. Why is is we feel so adverse to just saying "I need to eat" in front of other people? Mad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Sorry I've been a silent blog pal recently. Just caught up and you sound like you've been really busy!! T'was great to see you all in Derbyshire agin. My turn to London next time.

    Will be backblogging wit a vengeance soon as have been straying a little too far from the straight and narrow for comfort.

    You sound like you're doing alright but you're worried. It's all a bit tiring at times isn't it?

    Keep it up chuck.

    Big hug

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete