Tuesday 3 November 2009

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Shame

So I dove face first into the Harry Potter-themed chocolate cupcakes Saturday night.

I'm not sure how much I ate. I'm not sure how much I drank. It was one of those nights where I ended up more than slightly embarrassed about both.

Why the f@:k do I do this? Why do I heap shame upon myself like this?

The backdrop for this has been some serious BN2 drama. Which is a totally separate post, if not a book. But which I just cannot write about right now. Because of said drama and what seems like eons of emotional strain, I slept fitfully Saturday morning and woke up anxious and exhausted. Never a good thing when you're planning a big night out.

I ran to Pilates and did my usual class. "Skinny," said my favorite instructor (no, that's now why he's my favorite!), patting my midsection affectionately at one point. Then on to a meeting and then to lunch. I was hungry almost as soon as I'd had my lunch. Also never a good thing when you're planning a big night out.

I felt like I was counting down waiting for my snack, and was hungry again almost immediately. Why oh why at this point did I not just have another snack? Because I chose to believe the hunger was just anxiety and tiredness talking. Cocktails were at 7:30 and dinner – a Harry Potter-themed dinner party – was called for 8:30 pm, and these are not exactly my most punctual friends.

Got there about 8 pm and eyed the canapés: pumpkin pasties, "stoat" sandwiches (actually steak on toast rounds) – and cupcakes. Lots and lots of little cupcakes and chocolates. And let me remind you those were just the canapés.

I started off easy. I had a teeny glass of champagne and a then a pumpkin martini, plus a pumpkin pasty and a steak sandwich. Or maybe two. Then I tried some of their butterbeer, a fantastically delicious mixture that involved butterscotch schnapps. I kept eyeing the cupcakes. I also kept eyeing the front door and the kitchen, alternately wishing that the last guests would turn up and wondering when food was being served. By this point it was 9 pm. I was also anxious because I was supposed to be meeting BN2 at midnight, and he's so ungracious and unforgiving about being kept waiting for even a few minutes that it is enough to ruin the whole evening. I calmed myself with a mini cupcake or four.

Sometime north of 9 pm the starter was served – a salad I remember practically inhaling. Also soup. And white wine. Lots of white wine. (Oh clever girl, thinking you're being wise by stopping mixing drinks and moving to white wine. You _know_ you are a disaster on white wine. What on earth were you thinking?)

The main course was pork, which I think I also inhaled. I also think I insisted on helping clear some of the plates, all in the name of stealing some leftovers.
Somewhere in there there were also a few more mini cupcakes involved. I remember also having at least one proper-size one. Plus some candy from the trick or treat bowl. (Among the choices: the very same fun-size Twix bars I purchased the other week and never got round to posting about eating. Um, they weren't all that good. Except of course I saw one in the bowl mid-binge and pounced on it like it was the most amazing treat imaginable.)

I seem to remember dessert was some kind of chocolate cake that I don't think I could finish. I'd love to say it was so impossibly rich, but I think it was that I was ridiculously full. Not that that stopped me from eating the mini cupcakes and – I think – the jellybeans from my little goody bag as I waited for my cab.

***

So, um, that happened.

I hate public binges. Especially because these were a mixture of new-ish friends and people I'd never met before, including the health editor of a major newspaper. (He was dressed as Cedric Diggory, for the record. Not that he knew who Cedric Diggory actually was. He was not pleased to hear he died.)

When I want to self destruct, there's really nothing stopping me, is there?

***

Let's move on, shall we? I'm trying to myself, which is part of why I'm writing it all out. Not to do so would make me feel like a fraud – which could very well lead to another binge. The good news, I guess, is that I don't much feel like bingeing. I craved some awfully strange things Sunday and Monday, but only briefly (in the depths of depression on Sunday night) did it even occur to carry on self-destructing, perhaps in the form of a takeaway. The urge was mercifully brief and actually more of an idea that made a cameo in my head than an actual craving, if you know what I mean. I guess if I'm going to find the bright spot, that would be it.

So what did I wear to a Harry Potter-themed dinner party, you ask? Originally I'd thought about going as Rita Skeeter, but at the 11th hour heard the party hostess was, so I decided to do so myself would be a bit like turning up in a white gown at a wedding. I wore my school disco outfit and carried a twig I found on my run and an old book -- just call me Hermione (and a bona fide recessionista). I must say I felt like wearing a sign that both covered my legs a bit and told everyone that I hadn't bought a skirt this short just for this occasion. I made a handful of jokes about the skirt myself, kind of in the way I used to poke fun at my own bulk before anyone else did. A friend's husband (barely able to eat because his Hagrid beard and pillows were getting in the way -- I do appreciate a man who isn't afraid to look a bit silly) glanced at me and said: "If I weren't married, I'd ask you out." (He then offered to set me up with a nice Jew in New York. Hmmm....)

***

I haven't been in a clothing shop for months, but I confess I've been slightly curious about the Stella McCartney for Gap Kids line. I don't go mad for Stella's clothes and nor am I mad to have a kid I can dress like a designer doll, but I've heard quite a lot of good things about the line. One, that there's a very Balmain-like military jacket. (Not sure why a child under the age of 12 needs such a thing, but never mind.) And two, which I read in a recent interview with Stella, that she herself is planning on snagging one of each of her designs in the 12-year-old size (it goes from babies up to age 12).

My first thought was: I bet this will be some kind of sick competition among yummy mummies – not just whether they've snagged some of the line for their kids, but whether they themselves can borrow it from their daughters. My second thought was: Just how small is a Gap Kids age 12? I realized I had no idea – when I was 12, I was already knee-deep in women's sizes (assuming I could get my chunky legs into them at all).

Reader, I am ashamed to admit I had to go and try for myself.

The Balmain-ish jacket won't arrive in shops until Nov. 16, and I'm told there's already a waiting list. Plus it's £80 and no doubt won't fit over my definitely-not-12-year-old-sized-chest. So I bought a £17.50 dusky rose long-sleeve Stella t-shirt imprinted with what would probably be called a statement necklace. Please don't let me know if the size tag is hanging out.

4 comments:

  1. That party sounds amazing! And you clearly weren't behaving like a loony as that chap indicated his interest (men, in my experience, run miles from the slightest hint of lunacy).

    There's something almost poetic about meeting BN02 at midnight at Halloween as he's such a monster. But no wonder you may have done a bit of panic eating.

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, sorry, meant "definitely NOT as closely as you think."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Peridot's view of things. You probably felt like you were more out of control than others perceived you to be. And at a party, well-oiled and all, probably nobody was paying any attention to what you ate. Definitely as closely as you think. Besides, if they did, they'd just figure you were having a good time. Panic eating sounds about right, as Peridot says. Hope the midnight meeting was more of a treat than a trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really does sound like some party....it doesn't sound like a n=binge as you've previously described them. I can imagine the pressure of a midnight meeting combned with eating late and loads of unstructured stuff going round just tipped the balance but I'm sure it wasn't noted. Inhaling food is not a good idea from the perpetual dieters point of view but no-one else is going to spot it are they?!

    I think what's so great about you is that you are so totally honest with yourself about what you've done and how it felt. It must help in the onward progress.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete