Friday 25 June 2010

Cry, Cry Again

I'm 35 years old, and when I missed an airport train to London by 30 seconds at some hideous pre-dawn hour, I burst into tears. I cried the whole 20 minutes waiting for the next train, and then the whole hour home.

I cried because I'd sat for more than six hours on a Ryanair flight by the side of the runway without food or water, except if I wanted to pay for it in exact change in the proper currency given to a couple of lying cabin attendants (volcanic ash delaying us, my ass). I cried because I'd had 2.5 500g bars of dark chocolate for dinner and snacks because I had nothing else to eat, because airport security had taken my other food. I cried because I'd paid £35 for a dinner I really wanted to attend, and because I'd a thousand times rather have eaten 1500 calories worth of amazing food than 1500 calories worth of not-amazing dark chocolate. I cried because I was still hungry and felt slightly sick, especially after two days of cheap, crummy food. I cried because I'd had to wait for two hours at immigration, behind a planeload of kissing Korean couples wearing more designer labels than I've seen since my days covering fashion shows and in front of a chirpier-than-chirpy Midwestern American teacher who kept talking about her church. I cried because I couldn't just take a taxi from the airport, which I might have done a couple of years ago, and because I couldn't just take a taxi from Kings Cross (ditto). I cried because I had no juice in my phone because my international converter had gone missing and I had a spare at home and didn't want to buy an extra for a short trip where I shouldn't have needed one at all. I cried because Sicily looked like almost everywhere else in Italy I've ever been (which is most of it) and I didn't much care about seeing any part of it. I cried because I have unfinished tax returns in two countries and an overflowing inbox of emails from people wanting and waiting for things and a messy flat and blueberries probably rotting in my fridge. I cried because I'd had a bad photo of me doing yoga appear in London's Evening Standard on Wednesday and couldn't bear any more straining-for-something-positive-to-say texts about it. I cried because I couldn't think of who to call that would make me feel better anyway. I cried because I couldn't call my sister – who'd just given birth to triplets via emergency C-section (more on this later, possibly after sleep). I cried because what the f—k was I doing in Sicily when my sister was giving birth to triplets, and for that matter, what am I doing on the other side of the Atlantic in general. I cried because the babies are named for my mother and uncle and grandfather, none of whom are here to see them. I cried because I was tired – both from lack of sleep and from fighting on what feels like every front for the past several weeks. I cried because it was all just a little bit too much.

And I cried because I'm too old to cry about such things.

Then, when I missed the No. 30 bus from Kings Cross – also by about 15 seconds – I kicked the bus stop advertising. Then I kicked it again several times.

It didn't make me feel any better.

During the whole 14-plus-hour ordeal, I thought several times about buying extra food, or bingeing. I kept pulling the options out of my pocket, rolling them around like pebbles through my fingers. "Would food make things better?" I asked myself.

No, it would not, was the answer every time.

That didn't make me feel better, either.

5 comments:

  1. *Hugs*. God, that all sounds so frustrating. If it's any consolation, I would have been bawling like a baby too. Actually, I was, at 2am the other night because my sister has taken my niece to live on the other side of the world and I'm not coping. Better to cry and inflict unwanted affection on the cat than to inhale the world in carbs and fat.

    I'm pretty sure it was Ryan air that diverted my flight from Amsterdam to Manchester (was supposed to land in Leeds) because of fog and then sat us for four hours in the plane, sweltering hot, no water, because - unbelievable as it sounds - they could not find any portable steps to let us off. Then the fog cleared and they flew us back to Leeds.

    You need to give yourself some credit for dealing with what sounds like a lot of crappy stuff and keeping it more or less together in adverse circumstances, many of which are not under your control. I'm sure your sister understands that you would be there if you could. Present suggestion - a nappy cake (it's a cake shaped thing made of nappies), she'll be needing an awful lot of those! Congrats on being an Aunty. Many things come and go; Auntyhood is for life. I hope this is correct use of a semicolon ;-/

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I would have broken down and cried HOURS, scratch it, days before you did. At the mere gurgle of hunger I turn into a screaming toddler. Allow yourself a good cry, it sounds BEYOND deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to cry just reading this post. Hang in there. :-(

    (And congrats, auntie! Times three!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me with the criers. The F word would have passed my lips, also. In fact, without my snacks I probably would have been removed from the plane in handcuffs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your three-times Aunthood! And I'm sure I remember a blog post from years ago about a therapist that said you should do more crying in times of stress, so congratulations on that too! I think you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete