Tuesday 15 June 2010

Last Tango

Sunday, for the fourth or fifth time in less than three weeks, I woke up and wished I could be anyone but myself. I'd spent much of the night awake, too full to sleep, marinating in disgust and fear. I wondered whether anyone had noticed how much I'd eaten and at what speed, and what I might have said.

I binged at both the rehearsal dinner and the wedding, and I'm sure a couple of people noticed. I hate that.

I didn't (and don't) want to write about it. I just want a break from being in my own head for a while. But that is not to be.

If I'd written this yesterday or Sunday it might have been a very different post. I was so sad and fearful both days. I'm always a bit depressed post-binge, but the depression was particularly bad this time around. I picture the bingeing like a bloodstain seeping into clothing – how many more days of my life and friendships will it taint? I thought about all the days and should-have-been happy events (or carefree ones) that have been spoiled by my inability to think about anything much besides: How can I get some more of that? I thought about all the days and hours that have been spoiled by my shame and regret of the things I did to get more, and my fear of what people might say.

I think I've written before that a friend of mine has said repeatedly that I should not tell men I've recently met how much heavier I used to be. I think the reason I bring my past up more frequently than perhaps I should is because I feel this need to explain myself. There are so many times when I behave what feels like (and sometimes flat out is) so irrationally that I want people to know: It's not me; it's that. Except frankly, having once been overweight does not explain why one, say, ate more than just her own wedding favour chocolates.

I spent a lot of time on the airplane back from Chicago thinking about when and why I binge. Alcohol is always involved, and – as I know I've written about before – there is an element of me feeling trapped. But you're not with BN2 anymore, you say. What could possibly make you feel so trapped now? The answer is that I feel trapped almost every day: Trapped by too much to do and not enough time to do it in; trapped by the almost-paralyzing fear of never having enough money and of yet another day spent trying to make it stretch and trying not to think too hard about where and when I might get more and if this will ever end. Trapped by trying to pretend it is okay, that I'm okay, that I will get through this and oh yeah, here's a funny story about the crummy date I had last week. I feel trapped by circumstance: Single and living in London and unable to do most of the things that I want to do – that one should do when one is single and, um, living in London -- because I can't afford them. And often I feel trapped by the sheer time and energy required to exercise and (attempt to) eat healthy – the huge chunk these things take from my day; time I wonder if I should be spending sending out story ideas. (Or finishing my taxes. Or cleaning.) And I feel trapped by the push and pull of balancing exercise/healthy eating with the rest of my life, because I do sometimes go to extremes. (Me? Extreme? What you talkin' about, Willis?)

Is it any wonder, then, that I have a couple of drinks and I go crazy? It's an escape from reality and from obligation, if only for a few minutes.

I think I preferred the days when I used to escape by daydreaming.

***

Today is three days post-binge, and I can honestly say that I never again want to wake up and feel the way I did on Sunday. Or Saturday. Or the Monday before that – all post-binge mornings. Why can I not remember this in the moment? What kind of disaster is going to have to befall me? I don't want it to get to that.

6 comments:

  1. I could have written this post. Verbatim. Hang in there. Don't have any answers, only love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words of wisdom I'm afraid, just that as you know, it's a long and continuous battle - and one that we are here for every step of the way.

    Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your feeling quite normal re

    "I feel trapped by the sheer time and energy required to exercise and (attempt to) eat healthy – the huge chunk these things take from my day; time I wonder if I should be spending sending out story ideas. (Or finishing my taxes. Or cleaning.) And I feel trapped by the push and pull of balancing exercise/healthy eating with the rest of my life, because I do sometimes go to extremes. (Me? Extreme? What you talkin' about, Willis?"

    I see so many of us trapped by this.. the time that it takes for us to be healthy could easily be devoted to other things and then that battle we have with ourselves, hating the amount of time spent on trying to be healthy and along comes an opportunity like you said, where we just give up the responsibility even if it is just for a few seconds.

    I guess thats what it means about being an adult and responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to this post so profoundly. I feel like I don't have time to do more than 2 things. Work or focus on my health. Work or have a social life. So I go back and forth and end up staying the same weight...I have not found the balance that I seek. No words of wisdom unfortunately, only the knowledge that you are not alone in desiring "an escape from reality and from obligation, if only for a few minutes."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree with your friend about volunteering information about your weight - who was it said "never explain, never apologise"? Churchill? Robbie Williams?!

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly understand how you feel. Something stuck out to me, something that I've noticed about myself:

    "Alcohol is always involved..."

    Time to stop drinking, girl. I'm not suggesting you have a problem with alcohol, but if it's "always involved," you definitely have an opportunity here. I quit drinking, and no longer lose control with my eating. I'm not a binger, per se, but when I drank at a social gathering, I could not shovel enough food into my mouth.

    Saying a little prayer for you today. :)

    ReplyDelete