Friday 6 May 2011

A Signal and a Sign

After working Monday and Tuesday until midnight and Wednesday until 9 pm, editing and copyfitting on layouts I only received Friday at 6 pm, I arrived at work this morning to find a question from the top editor about almost every other word on my pages.

Her complaints, among other things, were that the book reviews sounded too much like book reviews. She asked such detailed questions about exercises you'd think our readers were learning to be personal trainers – or that she was. She wanted to know why I mentioned beach volleyball in a caption on sun hats. She didn't understand half of the music apps descriptions and wondered why we were running this story in July in the first place. (Um, she approved the lineup as my section's contribution to our July summer music issue -- that is the peg.)

I am not exaggerating for any effect, comic or otherwise.

Tears of anger and frustration welled up in my eyes. I spent a few minutes breathing quietly. I looked at the file again to see if I'd misjudged; if maybe it really wasn't that bad.

It was. It was worse.

I ran to the bathroom and properly burst into tears. I sent a few text messages, then marched myself back to my desk and began slowly working. I tried to concentrate on one little bit at a time and not get overwhelmed with how much had to be done. I tried not to think about the fact that it had already gone through one level of editing and I'd had to make changes and make those changes fit. I tried not to yell and scream that there's only so much useful information one can pack into a five-word caption about a summer hat, for heaven's sake.

I tried not to think that I'd get to repeat this whole process again on the next round of proofs, when the same people would ask different questions, some of it based on information they'd insisted I should delete this time around. I tried not to think about the approximately 27 other things I also needed to be doing so as not to get further behind.

I tried not to let tears well up in my eyes. I failed miserably at that.

I marched out, somewhat defiantly, to a vinyasa yoga class at lunchtime. I couldn't stop crying. I didn't want to go back there. I thought about the fact that even if I walked back in to quit I'd still have to finish this part of the job, and the trouble with this type of job is that you can't half do it or it just gets sent back to you to redo. (In my defense, the editor between me and the top editor – who is widely acknowledged to be the smartest person at the magazine – made only a few changes to my section before shipping it upstairs. And I can't decide what it means that the top editor herself, not prone to gratuitous compliments, thought my section was great. Oh, except for about 10 million little details.)

I struggled to quiet my mind during yoga – to focus on each instruction and bit of advice the teacher gave. I couldn't.

But I did find a small bit of peace. For weeks I have been terrified of making the decision to leave. I've questioned myself and second-guessed myself endlessly.

No more. I am leaving.

8 comments:

  1. Beth

    Good for you for deciding to leave. No job is worth this much torture especially since you've seemed unhappy about it since you moved to NY. Since you spend most of your waking hours at your job you might as well try to find something that makes you happy. You are a wonderfully talented writer. Maybe it's time to write another book? If not I'm sure you'll find something that will truly showcase your talent.
    Love, hugs and encouragement to get through this.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you should rebuke yourself severely - a book review that sounds like a book review? Tsk, tsk, honestly for shame.

    They're idiots and not worth your grief.

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I completely second Michelle and Peridot's thoughts. In fact, I'm going to start calling my conscience "Peridot," because she almost always says what I'm thinking. :)

    And good for you for hitting a yoga class in the midst of that stress. You will live longer making wise choices like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always such a nice feeling when the decision is made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, you've given this job your best shot. It's been long enough to know whether it was a good fit - it wasn't.

    There's concise and then there's insane nit-picking...crazy!

    Your talent is being wasted there.

    Can you get someone to take your picture right after you walk out of those offices for the last time? I'd love to see the smile on your face!

    Take care my friend
    Debbie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geeeawd, that sounds like a nightmare. I have totally been there and walking out (somewhat dramatically, I might add..) was very empowering, even though my partner found me bawling on the doorstep because I left my house key in the old office and was terrified at having no income.
    You tried it. At least you will not wonder what would have happened or if you passed up an amazing opportunity. Question answered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time to get the hell out of there. NO job is worth this much unhappiness and stress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with everyone above... it sounds like a nightmare, like BN2 made of paper. Wish I could parachute in there and rescue you! I hope you are okay!

    ReplyDelete