Sunday 11 September 2011

Breakin' All the Rules

Today I did something wild and crazy: I ordered something off the menu at dinner that sounded good to me.

It wasn't the dish I'd chosen ahead of time. Nor was it the alternate "healthiest choice" dish. And to make things even wilder, it was a stew-type dish with a side of rice – exactly the sort of dish I will usually avoid because I can't begin to guess portions. And it had coconut milk in it, something that would usually set off "too calorific" bells in my head.

But I ate the whole thing, enjoyed it – and didn't feel the need to binge after, a reaction I sometimes have to being "bad." There is part of me that wants to go pay for it with some extra exercise, but mostly, I am OK. This is all especially novel because I ate out for both lunch and dinner today, breaking a years-old diet rule of mine. And neither meal was at a restaurant I chose, or a type of cuisine I'd consider safe.

Ah, living on the edge, Beth-style.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Rock and Roll!! It's good to do "normal" things from time to time and realise that the world doesn't tilt on its axis! Go you.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You're back! :D I was missing your posts and it's sad to hear that things aren't going so well, weight-wise and in other ways. It will get better.

    When I'm feeling awful and can't face a yoga class I use Yogadownload.com. Just setting up your own little yoga area with tealight candles is a great way to nurture yourself, I find. AND, as you are the lone participant, you can do it in your undies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey, I’m sorry to hear about your current struggles.

    The only thing that has worked for me is to lose all of the eternal cues and look within; no diets, no rules, no eating because its lunchtime and no good or bad foods. Eat exactly what you want, when you are hungry and stop when your full. It’s that simple. Knowing that you can always eat exactly when and what you want is so liberating.

    Relax and listen to your body and the weight will take care of its self. It’s scary but it works - trust yourself and your body.

    Take care and be kind to yourself x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shana Tova. Hope all is well .

    ReplyDelete