Tuesday 24 January 2012

Skinny Up the Girl

A strange weekend.

On Saturday, I mentioned to an acquaintance who happens to be a Vogue editor that I was feeling slightly guilty for having ditched the half marathon I was supposed to run that morning – it was snowing, and I decided (for once) not to punish myself.

She said: "How can you even think about running in this? You're so skinny."

That makes no sense on a number of levels, yes?

Fashion note: Apparently Vogue editors swear by Uniqlo for cold-weather gear. Who knew?

***

The scene: A cocktail reception for Christies' old master paintings sale, Rockefeller Center

Guy: "You did a great job tonight."

Me: "Sorry, I think you must have the wrong person. I'm just a guest."

Guy: "No, I know. I just wanted to talk to you and needed an opening line."

I would possibly have swooned -- this sort of thing never happens to me -- were this guy not the age of my father, possibly older. And shorter than... well, he was short.

Sigh.

I left the reception and headed – in a reversal of binge trends -- directly to the Magnolia Bakery, which was, rather conveniently, just across the street.

Is it possible my palate has changed? It tasted impossibly sweet, not that that stopped me from eating. And eating. And eating.

I felt crazy ill that night – to the point of silent deals with whoever may or may not be up there that please please please if I could stop feeling so sick I would never eat Magnolia again. I actually slept almost all day Monday, except for a couple of hours spent filing stories and an hour attending an online class on business journalism. And I went to bed at 8.30 pm, and still proceeded to struggle to get up this morning.

At 11.35 am, still feeling lethargic, I made the snap decision to attend a barre method class – sometimes the only way to combat lethargy is to move, and quickly.

I threw on clothes and made it to a noon class just as it was starting. I can't say it was one of my more stellar workouts in terms of what I could do, but I focused on just getting through each song, and suddenly the workout was done. Fog lifted.

1 comment:

  1. That Magnolia Bakery sounds like a very dangerous place. Keep at it honeybun - remember - you cannot fail until you give up. I don't see any giving up so no failing either.

    (((((((((((((((big hug))))))))))))))))))

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete