Saturday 24 March 2012

Ball of Nerves


A friend posted on Facebook a photo of the ball we attended last night and tagged two friends in it but not me.

I immediately wondered: Did I look embarrassingly awful? (I work at home alone most days, which means I am no longer practiced in getting dressed properly. I sent the above photo to two friends before I got enough courage to leave the house.) Did I do something awful? Did she know?

I have a history of both drinking and eating far too much at these types of events. Last night I don't think I ever reached the point of even being tipsy, and while I definitely ate too much, I did not reach the point of feeling sick. That said I did engage in my old tried-and-true: Excuses to go sneak off alone and eat. Not good.

Earlier, in the cab en route to the festivities, I found myself noting places that might be open for après-ball bingeing. (I know; I'm crazy.) I'm proud to say that at least I did not do that, and not because I was too drunk or full. Instead, I came home and had a pear and a couple of spoonfuls of almond butter (but not, I must note, the bar of dark chocolate in my gift bag – something I'm sure I would have attacked in the taxi at one point). Did I need that food? No. But was it better than going from shop to shop, or even just tearing through any random food in my apartment? Yes.

The last bunch of times I've attended this type of event – not that I've been to anything fancy for nearly a year -- I have been so full and sick I can't sleep. Not so last night. Still I woke up sluggish. I probably would have felt better if I'd gotten up and worked out, but I had actually planned my day around the fact that I might binge – which is to say, I had not scheduled any classes (which you pay for whether you attend or not) because I just didn't know in what shape I'd be.

I still had pregnant-stomach-from-eating-too-much this morning, but I'm counting last night as progress.

4 comments:

  1. You looks absolutely darling! I hope you enjoyed the party, despite thinking about binging. I would actually call this a successful evening, all told. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! I wouldn't over-think it. :)

    So glad to read that things are taking a turn for the better on the eating front!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look totally cute in that pic. Love that dress. I really should make more of an effort with fashion (as I sit here in my fluffy hoody top and five years old black stretch jeans). I'm so ghetto today, yo. That's what working from home does to me.

    You can always tag yourself. Sometimes I don't tag a friend if I think the pic wouldn't please them - i.e. they have a dorky expression, sticky up hair, were really drunk or *gasp* look fat or.. they were hanging out with someone elses ex-boyfriend or a bazillion other reasons I think they may not want to be tagged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. waaait! I have thought of an even more plausible explanation. If she is using the auto-tagging feature, maybe you look different to other tagged pics of you and it did not recognise you. That thing freaks me out. I took a pic of my cat and it tagged the dark closet behind him and asked 'do you know this person?'. There is a bogeyman in my closet.

      Delete