Monday 8 July 2013

Going Bananas


Early this evening – and ironically, after sitting around thinking how nice it has been not to be recovering from a binge – I nearly did.

I’ve been hungry and tired today, and the soupy heat hasn’t helped. I sat in the air conditioning in the foyer of the gym (just because it was convenient, and I didn’t feel like dealing with Starbucks) idly checking messages, reading my newspaper, and then a book.

It was nearly time for dinner when I opened my bag and realized there was a banana in it.

A banana. I mean, who cares about a banana? To quote Oprah, nobody ever got fat eating a banana.

I had it unpeeled and was about to take a bite. I usually have fruit in the evening, I reasoned, so maybe I could just count this as that. But because of hunger I was having dinner earlier than usual, which meant I’d likely want my fruit snack later even more than usual.

I could feel the thoughts threatening to engulf me: The exhaustion of thinking about everything. The fear of being unceasingly hungry. The end of a long weekend where I have wasted a lot of time, and the onset of a week I’m not sure I have the energy to face, for no particular reason other than my weariness with everything at the moment.

Suddenly I knew it wouldn’t be just a banana I ate. And that if I ate it all night the thoughts would claw at me. Maybe I could have just this, or just that, or…

Or no. I was about to shove a banana in my mouth on my way to dinner. I mean, WTF?

I threw out the banana.

Two hours after dinner, I had two plums -- and no regrets. 

Day 40. 

3 comments:

  1. I wish I didn't understand these internal arguments over something as seemingly harmless as a banana, but I do. Completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, thank you. I was worried posting because really? a banana? WTF?, but yet it's reality for me. I wish you didn't understand it either, but (selfishly) I'm glad you do.

      Delete
  2. Hi there -- glad to hear that you are doing well. I am not sure if you are still drinking diet soda, but if you are, you MUST try 7-Eleven lite Slurpees. The diet Sprite is to die for -- extremely satisfying and impossible to drink too quickly.

    ReplyDelete