Friday 5 July 2013

Independence Day


Today is 37 days since my last binge.

I can’t yet – and if I am honest, probably never will – say I’ve found total freedom from bingeing, but let’s just say that the trial separation has been pretty nice (though not at all easy).

And as I think I mentioned, Weight Watchers and I are dating. And so far I’m down 11.4 pounds.

I know this is Weight Loss 101, which apparently too much frosting or similar this year has obliterated from my brain, but I’m finding it very helpful to plan out the night before exactly what I’m going to eat and – here’s the key – stick to it. Every single time I want to change the plan (except for things like accepting a last-minute invitation to dinner), I ask myself why. Usually it is because I have work I want to avoid, I’ve just seen something that looks good (I can always have it tomorrow, is what I tell myself), or any number of not-really-legit reasons.

I know it makes me sound completely crazy, but having no need to obsess about what I’m having for lunch as soon as I’ve finished breakfast leaves me a lot of free time and headspace.

Which obviously I immediately use to solve world peace, write the great American novel, calculate how long it will be until lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Planning ahead.....what a great idea, why didn't I think of it??! Seriously, I'm going to try it with a bit more fervour and dedication and see if that helps as, at the moment, I'm rather playing at things. I love the sound of "you can always have it tomorrow if you really want it". That is excellent chimp management.

    Well done on 37 days and keep it up chuck.

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lost the majority of my weight was my first go-round with weight watchers -- and every single night, after dinner, my "ritual" was that I'd close down the kitchen, wipe down the counters, prep and plan my next day, and pre-journal every point in a little note book. I'd pack my lunch, wipe down the counters, and go to bed. I am not as diligent as I used to be, but my ritual to this day still involves closing down the kitchen, thinking about DINNER the next day (so I can defrost whatever needs defrosting), and then wiping down the counters and going to bed. Good job!

    ReplyDelete