Wednesday 11 October 2017

Cake Tapas

On Sunday, Friend Bearing Chocolate became Friend Bearing Cake.

She’d been to cake school (yes, this is a thing), and when we met for coffee she brought me a container (funnily enough, it was for some sort of horrendous sounding no-sugar ice cream that must have been consumed by her housemate) filled with bits of things she’d made.

I looked at it, wondering if it were six servings? Two? Four? The only thing I was pretty sure was that it wasn’t one serving, which is the only way I really knew how to eat such a thing.

It sat on the table like a bomb. I’d so so SO nearly binged the night before, and one of the ways I’d gotten myself not to was to promise myself I would have something worth eating, not the sort of shite one can buy at midnight in Earls Court, after a really awful week and a rather triggering dinner with a newly gluten-free, dairy-free friend (English, but living on the west coast of America) who also doesn’t eat meat and a whole host of other things.

None of these cakes the friend came bearing were things I tend to crave. They were lovely, sure, but with the exception of the mince pie, none were things that would ever be my top choice. I imagined myself trying one and then the next, finishing them all looking for some particular taste none of them offered, and then ending up bingeing.

I thought about them a lot while we had our coffee. I’d throw them out after FBC left, I decided. She would never have to know. I’d done it before and I’d do it again.

And as we were leaving, I hesitated. I do eat everything these days – meaning no weird diets – and though I try to eat things that are worth eating, isn’t homemade cake the definition of that? Plus, part of what keeps me from bingeing, I think, is truly believing I can eat anything – and that I’ll stop believing that if I pass things up too often. The fear of them will solidify, like liquid turning to jelly.

Plus, plus – I also know I can’t, in the moment, eat things I suddenly start craving. I don’t go out and buy something the minute I think about it. If I’m still thinking about it the next day, then I have it. Usually I’ve forgotten about it. But again, what if I stop believing I can have these things – that I will always delay? That’s a binge waiting to happen. (In case you’re curious, I’m perfectly fine eating unplanned things at restaurants. But I don’t in the middle of the day get up and leave my house and go buy, say, Ottolenghi cake just because I think I have to have it. I know; it’s complicated. I’ve spent 16 months trying to work all these things out.)

Anyway. Just as we were leaving I said to FBC: “I have to ask you something.”

She looked worried.

I confessed I had no idea how to eat the cake tapas, which is what I’d mentally nicknamed the box.

I saw her face: Slightly shocked. But she recovered fast. Then matter-of-factly she suggested what she’d do, and the order in which she’d eat them (some would go off faster than others, which I wouldn’t know – when have I ever kept cake in my house long enough for it to go off?)


And so I had three days of cake. It was delicious. And fully worth the 30 seconds of embarrassment.

7 comments:

  1. How clever of you. Do something different. And it worked!! Cake tapas SHOULD be a thing. Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to ask, are you still going to the program you came to London for even though you've extended your stay? And are you still going to OA meetings? Have you ever had a sponsor? Ever since I left a comment a few months ago (different account but still Charlotte), I've been going to OA meetings and have been binge free for 117 days. I always check tour site for updates and you've been an inspiration for years. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *your

      PS: adding that I live in France and OA meetings are less preachy than in other countries, just for the record.

      Delete
    2. Don't know why I just saw this now... I'm so glad to hear. Yes, I still go (and yes, I do have a sponsor...)

      Delete
  3. I just wanted to drop in and say I'm so happy you're still blogging. Yes, it's been a while, but once every 6 months is fine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! You've inspired me... (New entry forthcoming...)

    ReplyDelete