Saturday 14 January 2006

Goodbye To All That

Thursday I found out someone I spent an awful lot of time thinking about these past few months was married. It's a complicated story, and I'm going to make the telling of it even more complicated/vague because I still behave like I did in middle school when I like someone -- which is to say that I don't want anyone to know. (Yes, it makes life difficult sometimes!) But ours was a relationship that -- for many reasons I've spent the past few months trying to understand -- never quite got more than a few feet off the ground before he had to leave the country, not to return until this year.

I never imagined one of the reasons it didn't quite work was because he was married.

I don't think he was married when we met, but she must have been around. But I pick endlessly over what I knew about him -- or maybe I should say, what I thought I knew about him -- and I can't find so much as a hint of anyone else. And I'm slightly paranoid by nature.

Perhaps I should just chalk this up as an encounter with one crummy guy. But I can't. Being so wrong about someone terrifies me in ways I can't quite articulate. And the moment of finding out he was married -- not from him, of course. I thought "heart stops" was bad writing or hyperbole or both. Now I know that it is neither.

***

Also Thursday I went round to friends' for dinner. (I know I'm American, but I like saying "went round," dammit!) An American girl engaged to an English guy, and they've just moved to a huge sparkling new flat and bought a Yorkshire terrier.

I loved seeing them, but I felt sad when I went home to my flat - so cramped that even if I did have time to cook there are very few people I'd allow to see the place. My sadness wasn't from loneliness so much as disappointment, I think. Whether I admitted it at the time, part of my moving-to-London fantasy included a nice English guy with whom I'd take minibreaks, drink tea, and go to country pubs -- and eventually stay here for. As I face the prospect of leaving London, perhaps the hardest goodbye will be to one dream that will never come true.

2 comments:

  1. Hey ##NAME##, I was really looking for stuff on Yorkshire Terrier Rescue, but I landed on your blog. More specifically, I ended up on ##TITLE##. Lucky for me 'cause I liked your post enough to stop and make a comment. I don't usually: I prefer to lurk. Maybe it's the 'Peeping Tom' in me, I don't know ;o) . You certainly have got some food for thought. I can't say I agree with everything, but you've certainly got me thinking. And, I'm told, that's not a bad thing! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Fellow!I like your blog!
    I just came across your blog and wanted to
    drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
    the information you have posted here.
    I have a pet center
    site. It pretty much covers pet center related subjects.
    Come and check it out if you get time :-)
    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete