Saturday 7 January 2006

Ill-Advised Things I Have Done This Week

1. Signed up for satellite TV (Justification: It came with my broadband.)

2. Bought pair of high-heeled black suede boots despite living in a country where it rains frequently and despite having expressly having forbid myself to buy anything besides the practical low-heeled variety. This after having discovered in my closet two pairs of unworn high heeled shoes plus several pairs of shoes so uncomfortable I look at them some mornings and just cannot bear the thought of walking to the Tube in them. (Justification: Boots were on sale, and unworn shoes -- one pair is sample sale manna in the name of pink satin Christian Louboutins -- are party shoes requiring fantabulous occasion for which my invitation just hasn't arrived yet.)

3. Got strangled, I’m-about-to-cry voice on the telephone with two separate bosses at separate times. Tried to convince self that they’re men – they probably don’t recognize the tone. (Justification: None, really, except a 70-hour workweek for a story that looks like it’s going to be killed anyway. This after the month of December, where I worked every single day – including weekends – except for one lone Saturday and three days over Christmas.)

4. Joined Weight Watchers, despite the fact that I didn’t really like it when I did it 10 years ago and my problem isn’t following diets – it’s living an existence that isn’t dieting or bingeing. (Justification: Thanks to the long lines in the English health system, though my binge-eating case is classed as urgent I still can’t get treatment for about 4 months, and I need to do something in the meantime.)

5. Bought Masai Barefoot Trainers and paid five pounds for a class on Sunday on how to walk in them, despite the fact that the class is at 10:30 a.m., the guy who's teaching it is among the more irritating people on the planet, and there was no one else on the list when I signed up yesterday. (Trainers justification: After two months of fighting with Apple, they finally shipped me back my iPod, so now I can walk to work. Class: Too embarrassed to say "Oh, I need to think about it," after I'd agreed to sign up and then was told it cost five pounds.)

In the words of the National Enquirer -- a publication that often arrives on my desk at work (how's that for, um, justification?) -- how was your week?

No comments:

Post a Comment