Wednesday 7 February 2007

Umm, Thanks. I Think.

Today a contact I was having lunch with -- an incredibly skinny woman who talks about how much she loves her food -- listened to my order and said: "What are you, on a diet?"

Surprised (most people in this country are not that direct), I nodded.

"I think you look great," she said. "You know, some people are not meant to be skinny."

Then she launched blithely into a tale of a drunken conversation with David Beckham and run-ins with minor royals.

2 comments:

  1. crikey... what do you say to that!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean in your headline, but I would take it as a compliment. She actually sounds like a pretty cool person even if she didn't think about the double edge in her words. Without the first part of her quote, it would be about the bitchiest thing I've ever heard, though.

    ReplyDelete