Saturday 24 February 2007

Yes, Virginia, Life is Unfair

Today I went for brunch with a couple of friends I met in Iceland and haven’t seen for months. (No, they did not notice I had lost weight.) They are thin, yet talked about having just had their blood types analyzed so they could do the blood-type diet. Then they promptly ordered fried breakfasts: eggs, sausage, bacon, baked beans and toast. I ordered the vegetarian version: eggs, mushrooms, veggie sausages, baked beans and toast.

They cleaned their plates. I left over the white piece of toast (I’d eaten the whole wheat one, sans butter) and the veggie sausages, which looked suspiciously greasy and fried potato-y.

We shopped for a couple of hours on Upper Street, where thing they tried on included, but were not limited to: gorgeous Comme des Garcons knee-high boots (which do not fit over my calves), Stella McCartney rompers (not in my size, but anyway, ew) and crazy huge titanium necklaces (which would fit but I'd never wear, because they scream "Look at me!", and when one is my size, that is not really something one wants or even needs to scream). I tried on one pair of trousers that -- although labelled a not-totally-unrealistic size -- were not even on the same planet as fitting.

After such exhausting and expensive decisions, they wanted to break for coffee. Coffee included a cheesecake tart for one and carrot cake for the other. I had peppermint tea.

Life is not fair.

On the plus side (I accidentally wrote plus size, and had to delete it), yesterday I craved broccoli.

2 comments:

  1. bah! that really does suck. to watch others eat cheesecake while you basically have to drink grass clippings and boiling water!?

    can totally relate to this one. i have tiny friends who are always banging on about their blood type diets too, meanwhile i have to analyse whether that one little potato will push me into a gain for the week.

    (PS hope you are well! all these new entries have been a great treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either Anne or Mo brought me here. I am thrilled to see that you exist, because you write well and are funny.

    Re: this --
    "...and crazy huge titanium necklaces (which would fit but I'd never wear, because they scream "Look at me!", and when one is my size, that is not really something one wants or even needs to scream"

    -- it's been my experience that if you wear one of these types of things to bodily scale, it actually looks pretty smart, and sometimes people will compliment you and/or ask you out (that didn't when you weren't wearing the big bold jeweled thing).

    YMMV.

    ReplyDelete