Monday 25 June 2007

There's No Such Thing as a Free* Lunch

The plate had two slices of lamb, three tiny new potatoes, three chunks of roast potatoes, a Yorkshire pudding, one piece of cauliflower, two pieces of broccoli, and some carrot batons.

“Well, I won’t be eating for the rest of the day,” declared my friend D as she dug in.

It was just before 2 p.m. – lunch – and I was hungry, really hungry. So hungry that I’d had to have a banana an hour beforehand because I was cranky-hungry (something I haven’t been in a while) as we were walking around Hever Castle. We’d been waiting for our food for more than a half an hour, me panicking privately because I was so hungry. But after D’s comment I was panicking even more.

Can I eat the whole thing? I wondered. It doesn’t look like that much to me, and I’m not going to eat the roast potatoes anyway (in England, they’re typically roasted in goose fat). Is this really a lot of food?

I looked hopefully over at my friend L, hoping she would provide some clue. But she didn’t say anything.

D – who does not and has never had a weight problem -- cleaned her plate. L – who is grimly following South Beach phase 2 for medical reasons that have nothing to do with losing weight – left over the potatoes and the Yorkshire pudding after taking a tiny taste of them. I left over my roast potatoes and – after what I hoped was a covert examination of my friends’ plates – wondered if they had noticed, as I had, that I’d cut less fat off my lamb than they did. (My mother loved the fat, so I grew up never thinking anything other than that it was OK to eat.)

Sigh. It never ends, does it?

That afternoon, I was hungry not long after lunch – hunger I’m sure was in my head, and I’m sure was a function of my wondering if I should be allowed dinner after D’s comment.

I did eat dinner, but spent the rest of the evening with the uneasy feeling – fear? Anxiety? Frustration? I’m really not sure -- that has in the past been a prelude to a binge. I thought about how my friend J – six feet tall and rail thin -- had said casually on Saturday night when I mentioned I had kissed a 21-year-old in Riga: “You could easily pass for 25. People who have fat faces are lucky.” (Now really, I ask you, what is the Hallmark-approved response to that?)

I took a bath – careful not to choose the apple-scented bath bomb from my collection – and went to bed. This morning I got up and went to the gym and tried – unsuccessfully -- not to stare at my stomach or arms in the mirror.

I’m as sick of writing these kinds of things as you probably are of reading them. I was tempted to end on a cheery note – or really, the self-deprecating fat-girl note – and say that I need a hobby. But I don’t. I just need time.

Or so I hope.

*free, in this case, would be "free from obsessing"

5 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I've been to Hever Castle. Yay. I love that place. Hang in there, you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say how awesome it is that you sat with that uneasy, frustrated, anxious feeling instead of eating your way through it? That is HUGE. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you do deserve major pats on the back for taking a bath and going to bed. Its hard!! But you're doing fantastically. And don't stop writing about it all - negative or positive, I think you often touch on all kinds of topics that hit home with your readers, myself DEFINITELY included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only come across your blog recently, and I have to tell you, it was serendipitous, to say the least. I am now in Phase II of a long-term weightloss effort. About 2 years ago, I lost 60 pounds--and for one reason or another--stopped before I reached my goal. Mercifully, I'd only gained back about 8 of the pounds I lost, when I decided to finish what I started. In any case, your posts resonate and are so meaningful to me, here, across the pond, as I seek to reach the next benchmark. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: the dinner thing... I know how you feel. It's like when a restaurant meal comes and someone at your table says "my goodness, you'll have enough for lunch and dinner tomorrow" and then you feel you have to stop and take the leftovers home even if you know you're going to eat them all before you go to bed. And it all seems so futile anyway because you're sure they're all thinking, she didn't get to be that fat eating 1/3 of her meal.

    Re: the fat face compliment. I usually get those from family. How can people be so insensitive?

    ReplyDelete