Thursday 24 January 2008

Paris, Je T'aime

Got back from Paris a few hours ago. The good news: Even if I loathe the assignment, I still love Paris. And after filing a last-minute story when I got home tonight, I went straight to Power plate. The bad news: I ate more than I should have/needed to. The ugly news: None, thankfully.

Paris started off on the wrong foot for me in several ways. The first is that I had my passport stolen Saturday, and thanks to it being a US holiday Monday I couldn’t get temporary travel papers until Tuesday morning – and I was supposed to be in Paris on Sunday. Despite this sounding like a blessing in disguise – longtime blog readers (if indeed there are any!) will recall I was far from thrilled with the nature of this particular trip – it was not. Besides the stress of passport replacing/unsympathetic boss, I had to scramble to help the person replacing me Monday and Tuesday, um, replace me.

The other pre-Paris problem: I woke up Tuesday morning to find that I didn’t lose any weight last week. Frankly, I shouldn’t have expected to lose any weight last week. Yes, I didn’t binge and yes, I ate appropriately and yes, I did all my workouts – but I also had dessert two days in a row, something I never do. (Cake from Ottolenghi one night, and a sticky toffee pudding – something I’ve been thinking about all winter, but have not indulged in – the next.) I understand perfectly well that at this stage of weight loss – when I don’t have much to go – that small things can mean the difference between losing and maintaining (or – eek – gaining). But still I don’t like it!

So with my head in that place, I went to Paris, an assignment that encapsulates both everything I hate about my job and (almost) everything that makes me insecure about myself. The job I was doing was stressful, and made all the more so by two breaking news stories I had to work on that had nothing to do with the Paris assignment. So: The two nights I was there I went out to dinner and ate mine with very little thought about leaving any over/not eating so much of the cous cous (had a tagine one night). Last night I had pasta and a two small slices of my friend’s individual pizza – but compensated (a bit) by having fruit for dessert when everyone else was ordering tarts. Both nights I ate the little chocolate left for me by the hotel, something I would never usually do. I worked out both days, and walked a good bit. (And shouldn't Anna Wintour's death glare at my outfit at Valentino laser off at least a pound? A girl can dream.) To be honest, I feel perfectly OK with these two days – I didn’t make myself or anyone else crazy about my food, and now I’m back and back in my routine. Or I should say, I feel OK with this now – I’m probably going to be slightly less thrilled when I weigh in.

* * *

Things tick on with Bachelor No. 2. He texted me in French while I was in France – he speaks six languages (we have two in common) and I think must have forgotten that French is not one of mine. Since the texts are occasionally naughty – and because I wasn’t finding the words in the online French/English dictionary -- I couldn’t think of anyone I’d particularly want to translate them!

Tonight, seeing an e-mail he sent me earlier in the day, I idly checked out the web site from which he’d sent it. I wasn’t expecting much, but it turned out to be a detailed family web site – from what is roughly the last year he was married. I scanned a few entries, which were written – ick -- in the overly jocular tone of a bad Christmas letter. Then I clicked on the photos page, thinking it was going to be mostly – as advertised on the main page – baby photos. Curious as I am about the ex-wife and what she looks like, I had to close the page down as soon as the photos started loading, because they were clearly family photos.

Frankly, I wish I hadn’t seen the web site. Just because I’m curious about the ex doesn’t mean I really want to know, at least not now. And much as I know he’s hardly an unbiased source, I feel like what I know about their relationship should come from him, not what I can piece together – or could piece together, if I actually read all the entries -- from a web site intended for family and friends.

5 comments:

  1. In the age of Google, all new romances probably involve a fair amount of cyber-dirt-digging. I commend you for shutting it down, I would have looked! And analyzed his previous choices, and likely showed my friends to gain assurance that yes, I am better looking. I don't consider myself insecure, but after typing that last sentence I have to wonder..=)

    I realize (from previous entries) that you loathe the Paris trip, but I can't help but be totally jealous that you got to see the last Valentino show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on working out and eating well while in Paris! I don't think I ever could!

    As for the website, I would have been weak and looked, and then felt tortured later. Very good restraint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh - not sure I would have the willpower to shut down the website. Probably wise though.

    Also not sure I'd have the willpower just to order fruit for dessert while in Paris but well done on not gaining!

    Thanks for your thoughts. I think you're right about not going too far - having lost the initial excitement of my last post I think I'll just settle for losing a stone and a bit for the time being.

    Cheers and keep at it - you are doing really well (whatever Anna Wintour might think!)

    Lesley x_

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live just south of Paris, in fact I have been here since 1990. There are a lot of things that I can say about the French (many bad things)but the best thing is the way we eat. I have 3 kids and they have b-fast, a healthy snack at school at 10 (carrot stick and juice), lunch, small after school snack, dinner. My home has probably only have 10 gallons of coke-type drins pass through it since I lived here, mainly for others to drink at a party. We don't have chips in the house. My kids eat things that my parents are not sure about trying when they visit.

    Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth, I only recently found you blog and spent a couple of days going through your archive and googling to find your book.

    I think you have done an amazing job to get where you are and you should be very proud. I really enjoyed reading about your ups and downs and could really relate to a lot of what you have been through.

    By the way, I work in academic publishing and I am so jealous of your job. Doesn't matter how much you say you don't like it, it looks fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete