Thursday 4 June 2009

Love in the Modern Age

"The following message is more than four minutes long," said the computerized female voice on my voicemail.

I glanced down and saw that BN2 had been the last caller. What could he want from me at nearly 10 pm on a night when I know he's on a date? (And on a date with a woman who I also know despises me?)

At first the voice was muffled, but with loud background sounds -- his phone often accidentally dials people, and this must have been one of those times. Before I could hit delete his voice came through, nearly crystal clear. I could hear a Kiwi female voice asking questions and laughing.

He was telling her about a place I'd taken him last year -- a place we loved so much we went back again. Only in this version I was edited out, and he was using it to seduce her. It was punctuated by what I can only describe as the sound of kissing.

I texted him to tell him to turn his phone off; that I'd just received four minutes of voicemail from him.

He must have known immediately what sort of thing I'd heard, and for the only time in recent memory I can think of, actually apologized. "I'm so so sorry you heard that. I'm speechless. I wish you hadn't listened to it."

Me too, pal. Me too.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. My throat feels tight just imagining what you must have experienced listening to that call. If writing is healing, you will recover beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is what you call a "God-incidence." More reasons to stay away from him. Does he have any character at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been nasty to hear and I'm also really sorry you had to go through it.

    Does it help at all in bringing the grieving for him/your relationship to a speedier end? Hope so as, although I obviously don't know him, he sounds like a prat and a hurtful one at that.

    Even when he is 100% at fault and clearly lying to this other woman, and while ostensibly apologising to you, he still manages to get a small barb in "I wish you hadn't listened to it" like you should have made the decision to turn the machine off....maybe I'm being picky but that's how it comes across. uugh

    Stay strong sweets.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What. A. Git.

    That's all I can manage to choke out through my rage.

    You deserve sooooooooooooooo much better.

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. Call me suspicious but I'm not convinced that it was an accidental call.

    But maybe that's just me. I often think the worst of people.

    In any event, I'm sorry you had to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes you get a little 'gift' that helps clarify things, even though it might hurt in the short-term. If I saw this scenario in a movie, I would say it was contrived, but I can absolutely imagine it happening. What an effing a-hole! I hope that things go better for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. berk is all i can say...total jerk

    ReplyDelete