Sunday 20 September 2009

Faggots With a Side of Lesbian Tea

Seven years ago last Friday, I moved to London. I celebrated – sort of -- with a lunch of faggots and mash. Which I ordered, if you can believe, partly because the dish came with purple cabbage. (Yes, I ordered a dish partly because of the vegetable it came with. Craziness.)

A faggot, for the record, seems indistinguishable from a meatball, except it had a slightly slimy sausage-casing-type-thing. (I know, I know – I should not stop or pass go but should go directly to writing menu descriptions, right?) Had I not been with actual British parent-types I might well have taken a picture of the daily specials sign with the dish listed – after seven years, my "I've fallen down the rabbit hole" moments are very rare, and this almost qualified as one.

I left over half of the mash and had a slice of plum and almond tart with clotted cream for dessert. Plus a cup of tea: English breakfast with milk. (A friend recently told me this was builders' tea, as opposed to the green tea – "lesbian tea," she says it's called – that she drinks.)

***

On Thursday – fueled by a scoop of West Country clotted cream ice cream – I went windsurfing. As I zipped up my wetsuit I had a flashback to the last time I windsurfed – my first lesson, in July – when I'd been bingeing. (Knowing I was going for a lesson was the only thing that kept me from a huge binge in the early afternoon, but as soon as I was off the water I dove into the food.)

It took me a while to remember what I'd learned the previous lesson – to get my sea legs back – and I had more than a few seconds of wondering if I were the worst, most-fraidy-cat-ish girl this particular instructor had ever taught. I found myself wanting to tell him I'd lost a lot of weight, just so he could understand that in Sports Age I am actually about two years old and thus he should be gentle with me. Also so he could understand that my goals are incredibly modest. Forget about fast tacking – just being able to keep my balance standing on the board practically is enough for me to turn cartwheels (though not, of course, on the board).

I fell repeatedly trying to learn the aforementioned fast tacking, and only when I think about it now do I realize that not once did I worry about the size of the splash I created. It's possibly an even more thrilling feeling than the wind in my sails, practically flying over the water.

1 comment:

  1. Curious about something .... it seems, from reading your blog, that you did more binging during your weight loss phase than you are now that you are in (I assume) maintenance phase. If my observation is correct, why do you think that is? Is there something about the weight loss phase that might have made you more prone to a binge? Or is it just that you've gotten better at avoiding the binge triggers over time?

    Also, what effect do you think the binging had on your weight loss? I ask because I'm encouraged to see that you lost weight even with the odd binge or two. I'm kind of falling into a similar pattern right now and can't seem to pull myself out of it. I'm gaining/losing, gaining/losing the same 5lbs. I lose it one week, get it back the next after sloppy eating. So irritating. But I draw inspiration from seeing that it didn't stop you from getting to your goal! I figure I just keep pressing forward, and eventually I'll turn a corner. I hope so, at least.

    ReplyDelete