Wednesday 16 December 2009

A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes

So Cinderella did go to the ball, and she didn’t lose a glass slipper – only some self respect as yours truly binged in front of (a) the editor of Glamour, (b) fashion designer Roland Mouret (whose dresses I can only dream of ever owning), and (c) Simon Le Bon’s daughter, all of whom were seated at my table. Maybe they didn’t notice that I ate the entire plate of not-very-petite petit fours. (Roland, for one, was jetlagged – he’d been in LA having dinner with Demi Moore – and drunk.) Seriously, a whole plate of chocolate, macaroons, cocoa-dusted almonds, et al – on top of my dinner (fish in some sort of girolle cream sauce), which I consumed at such alarming speed that the so-not-Prince-Charming at my left even commented. Ugh.

With only one exception, these days I only binge when I drink, and it’s not automatic. There are plenty of times I can go out have a couple of drinks – or even a lot of drinks – and be fine.

And then there are the times when I know – I just know – before I’ve even taken the first sip that I am in a f—k it all kind of mood. Sunday – the night of the ball – was one of those evenings. There had been lingering crap with BN2, and I was just… sick of it. I didn’t just want him out of my life – I wanted him out of my head. Alcohol isn’t exactly a fantastic eraser, but in the absence of anything else (maybe because binge eating doesn't really work any more?), I guess I decided it would do.

* * *

The ball was Elton John’s, and I actually was there as a guest, not a reporter. It’s hard to believe writing about celebrities was once my job, when you consider the following: I am dashing (well, as fast as four-inch gold heels allow) down the sweeping staircase when I see a stunning woman whose dress I’ve been admiring all night about to pass me on her way up.

“Your dress is amazing,” I say.

She smiled and said: “Thank you. I love yours – I noticed it earlier. It’s Marchesa, isn’t it?” (Actually, it was.)

The next day I see her picture on the front page of the Evening Standard. She’s the singer Sophie Ellis Bextor.

Oops.

* * *

Early in the evening, when I am (fairly) sober, but Roland Mouret is (by his own admission – I didn’t know the French ever got drunk) not, I gush over his most recent collection.

I interviewed him several years ago for a profile for my former employer, and I’ve seen him at parties in the intervening years.

“You definitely have the figure for them,” he says. I don’t care if he was drunk – I’ll take it.

* * *

I'd planned to go back and edit what I wrote above, to make myself sound like, um, a little less of an alcoholic binge-eating freak. Except I had several missed calls from my sister, plus a message: I need to talk to you.

My sister and I do not use those six words unless it is urgent. If you have ever had a seriously ill relative, you probably know why.

She's pregnant. With triplets.

"I hope I'm going to live through this," she says, telling me her own doctor has already informed her she's got to go see someone for high risk pregnancies.

I feel strangely tearful. I'm thinking: Nothing had better happen to my sister.

"Sorry for the urgent messages," she says. "I didn't want you to be the only one in the family who didn't know."

My father and grandmother are delighted -- my grandmother apparently told my sister she considered this something to live for. And it is. And yet I can't help feeling a little sad -- or maybe that's just sorry for myself -- standing on the shore waving as the boat leaves, and then trudging home alone.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beth -- it's so good to be reading your blog again. Mazel Tov on your sister's pregnancy. I wish her a healthy and easy pregnancy and delivery.

    Re the bingeing, and if this makes you think, "Duh, if I could do that, I wouldn't have a problem," I'm sorry. When you give into an inevitable binge, take a deep breath and give yourself permission to do it. Eat whatever, and however much you want, but try and eat slowly and at least taste and try to enjoy everything. I know a binge is not about hunger, or even the food, but maybe this will help.

    Sorry for the unsolicited advice -- it's the Jewish mother in me. Take care, and cut yourself a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you went mad at a party? Which of us doesn't or wouldn't ever? You were clearly in good company in any case!

    As for that view from the shore - so you won't be juggling 3 babies (phew - bet there's always ONE crying), but your landscape can be just as beautiful and engaging as your sister's. Perhaps you just need a map to get you to the right place? Right, that analogy has now been flogged sufficiently!

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, future Aunt! I remember the night my first niece was born, 16 years ago. My brother and sisters had always been so devoted to my sons (I am the oldest and 1st to have kids), but I always thought that they were just 'being nice'. You will probably find, as I did the first time I held my niece Julie, that you will love those babies so much, as I do my now all my 9 nieces and nephews - and they will enrich your life! The boat isn't pulling away from the shore, leaving you behind - jump on! Your sister is going to need all of the support and love you can give her now. I wish you all the best of luck!
    Sounds like the ball was exciting - don't be too hard on yourself for momentary indulgences - it's pretty cool that Mouret complimented you! Hope your holidays are happy!

    ReplyDelete