Thursday 18 March 2010

Watch It Spin Round to a Beautiful Oblivion

So, the scones? Not that great. Or filling, for that matter. (If they tasted fantastic I guess I could deal with the latter.) I've eaten 3 of the 4, and the last may have to go wherever not-so-great scones go to die. By which I mean the bin, not, say, used merely as a conveyor belt for clotted cream to enter my mouth.

Meanwhile, the Nice Jewish Boy responded to a press release I'd forwarded about some amazing new tasting restaurant's soft opening that I missed (I'd already agreed to attend the opera with a friend, and so spent 4.5 hours listening to baroque music and the approximately 95-year-old man to my right alternately drum on his program and then suddenly, narcoleptically, fall asleep and then jerk awake). NJB is the world's cheapest person – well, among them, since I think my dad definitely is a contender – and so suggested I contact the PR, say I'd missed the dinner, and try to cadge a free one. Can you say ugh? Besides, American journalists (or American journalists who are not beauty editors) don't do that. Or at least, I don't.

Anyway, he then began asking me about new restaurants worth going to and I could see where that one was going – he never steps up to the plate directly. Then he suggested one off my list and I told him quite honestly that it was out of my budget. Keeping in mind one of the most useful things I ever learned from BN2 (namely: if you offer a practical objection instead of the real reason your bluff can very easily be called), I then told him this wasn't a shameless ploy on my part to get him to pay, only that I had very limited funds (so horribly, scarily true – it weighs on me daily) and that going out to eat wasn't really a priority for me. Which I knew full well was a practical objection of its own. And my bluff was called. He suggested a film.

Which I confess I agreed to, mostly because I've been feeling generally overwhelmed, exhausted, and yes, lonely. Plus, frankly, I do love going to the movies – actually going to the movies, as opposed to renting one (you never give a film the same respect at home as you do in a cinema. You get up, get a snack, answer the phone...). We're going on Saturday. Yes, I shall be keeping a film in my head of last Friday to keep me from doing anything I shouldn't. Not that I think it will be that hard to resist.

***

Debbie asked: "When the notion to binge strikes, do you think it can be totally extinguished? Or merely delaying the inevitable?"

I guess the answer depends on whether I view my own binges as reactions to times I have restrained myself from bingeing – if the seed of a binge can be sown, say, two weeks before it happens. That's something I'm still trying to figure out myself. I do tend to binge on things I deny myself (or really, have only rarely, because I don't deny myself anything completely), but very rarely is it on the food I have most recently not allowed myself to have the minute I wanted it. Of course, what I actually binge on is probably a function of the time of day that I binge (late – most shops shut) and the fact that I will go to town on just about anything once I take the leap off the cliff.

So, the answer is, I'm afraid, I don't know. I'm still trying to work out why I binge – what purpose it still serves after all these years. I think it used to be for the oblivion. My brain goes a million miles an hour at all times (sometimes I want to cut off my head and throw it across the room), an elaborate chicken race of acute self-consciousness, fear, anxiety, and often, self-loathing. Bingeing doesn't eradicate those feelings, but it quiets them down considerably as I go through the ritualized steps of a relapse: the plotting, the acquiring, the eating. And then the fullness – combined with the fact that I usually binge at night -- makes me so exhausted that all I can do is go to sleep.

My most recent binges I think are rooted in escaping a cage, whether BN2's or one of my own devising. (Yes, I guess "oblivion" would still technically be the reason). As I've said, I struggle daily with limits – financial and caloric – that at times feel like a straitjacket. Objectively, the caloric ones are not crazily limiting – hello, I ate two scones as planned snacks yesterday. But sometimes I look at my week and see a lot of meals out and lack of time to work out and I despair of keeping weight off. And that is what feels limiting: The constant give and take and general thought and planning that is required to maintain a weight loss. Sometimes it's very easy and almost second nature. And at other times it feels like the most unbearable weight in the world – a heavier burden than the 90-plus pounds I lost. And sometimes, I guess, I want a break from thinking about it.

Hmmm. Not sure I've answered the question. The editor in me says I should delete the above as verbal diarrhea.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your response to my question.

    I completely see myself in what you said about bingeing as a means to achieve oblivion. I am a bona fide food (specifically, sugar) addict.

    The cage is also something I can relate to...feeling trapped is my biggest trigger.

    I'm working on NOT eating in response to bad feelings, such as feeling trapped. It is SO VERY tough.

    Thanks again for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Beth - yes, it can get wearing this endless effort to keep on top of the weight issue. But it's worth it - better to have one less thing to worry about eh?

    You're doing great chuck. Keep it up.

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete