Sunday 25 April 2010

Weekend Update

Walking through Broadway Market yesterday on the way to the pub I passed Kate Nash and her Cribs boyfriend, but also a lot of seriously scrummy looking cakes and fudge, and the sweets sent my mind whirring. Almost automatically, I started plotting how I could leave the pub and binge. It seemed like a foregone conclusion that I would, especially once I had a few glasses of Pimms.

The event was birthday drinks for a friend of a friend, and as soon as we arrived I just wanted out. I didn't feel like being chatty and polite – and it didn't help that I was at the very end of the table.

I don't want to be here, I kept thinking. But I didn't want to be at home, either. What I wanted was for the date I'd been on the night before to have been a good one. What I wanted was not to feel like I'd been a bit of a crazy person but that there was no way to remedy it. What I wanted was not to feel rejected, dispirited and – even in the presence of friends -- a bit lonely.

I wasn't getting what I wanted. But nor, I realized, was cake going to fix that. In fact, I knew I'd likely feel sadder if I'd binged. So I didn't. Two weeks clean.

***

If the above makes you think I'm about to throw myself into the Regents Canal... I'm not. I've actually been having quite a good time running around: one night to a raw food restaurant in Shoreditch with an old friend, last night out with other friends, and this morning to a yoga class at a trendy gym. (I was supposed to hang out with the NJB later, but when I'm already feeling lonely, hanging around the NJB actually makes it worse.)

But dates are hard. Four months after leaving BN2, I don't regret the decision (and in fact, know leaving was one of the best things I've ever done for myself). But occasionally I miss the things he knew about me.

"Don't tell guys you were once over 200 pounds," advised my friend A. "It just makes them imagine you at that size, and that's not what you want. Let them think you're naturally skinny."

I'm not sure why, but I have this crazy need to explain myself – so that whoever can know that there's an actual good reason for my finickiness/crankiness/agitation sometimes when it comes to food.

Take Friday night's date. He wanted to meet at 7:30 pm for a drink. I didn't know if we'd go for dinner, and I didn't want to spend any part of the evening plotting how to get food or getting so far past the point of hungry that he'd see cranky, indecisive me on Date One. So I pushed the date to 8 pm and ate first.

I commented about the quality of the chocolate for sale (it was William Curley, some of London's most amazing) and when he bought the drinks he bought a bar of it. White chocolate with raspberry. I used to love white chocolate but now it's just too sweet – and besides, it's my policy not to eat outside of meals and snacks.

He kept offering it to me.

"You're on a diet?" he guessed.

I shook my head. Why I didn't just say, "I don't like white chocolate, thanks," I don't know. It seemed rude somehow. So somehow this chocolate I didn't want to eat became this huge issue.

What can I say, I'm a freak. Or maybe he is.

***

On Friday, I wanted to write a post I'd already mentally titled "Don't Get Mad, Get Even" – but I ran out of time.

Last weekend I was stewing about the lack of movement on the scale, wondering why – if my diet and exercise were the same as they always have been – they weren't doing the trick after Dorset.

Then I realized (a) I'm not trying to maintain, as I have been for a while -- I'm trying to lose, and (b) my diet and exercise are not really the same as they always were. For one reason or another I haven't done much weight-lifting for a couple of months – not good news for my anemic slug of a metabolism. And since splitting with BN2, I don't run to Pilates and back – a good 2.5-hour weekly workout that hasn't been replaced with anything else.

My bowl of porridge that I eat every morning? In the past few months it's gone up by somewhere between 150 to 200 calories. The add-ins are healthy – chia seeds and peanut butter or coconut butter – but they're still calories. I'd rather a bigger bowl of porridge and fewer toppings (I'm a volume eater), so I've ditched them until the weight is off.

The calorie content of my snacks also has slowly crept up – nothing huge, but still an extra hundred calories a day that I don't really need. Ditto the 60-calorie square of dark chocolate from Trader Joe's I've taken to eating randomly at some point in the day. And I rarely ever drank alcohol in the last year with BN2, and now I have drinks a couple of nights a week. (I'm not giving up drinks at the moment, but they're not free calories and I need to remember that.)

The renewed vigilance definitely is helping – I know I'm not back to my previous weight but at least the belt on my jeans is back to its old hole.

"You look like yourself again," said a trainer at the gym when she saw me doing arm exercises on Friday. (I had told her about the Dorset weight gain.)

"Yes, I feel like I'm back," I said happily. I caught sight of myself in the mirror and didn't avert my eyes.

***

Whittle My Middle Challenge, April 22:
Front plank: 3 minutes, 20 sec
Side plank: 60 seconds each side
Torso twists: 21 reps (using Bittman)
Plank ups: 10 reps
Boat pose: 30 seconds
Bicycle crunches: 2 sets of 30
Side plank with twist: 10 reps each side

April 25
Front plank: 3 minutes, 20 sec
Side plank: 60 seconds each side
Torso twists: 21 reps using 7 kg weight
Plank ups: 10 reps (Could I hate these any more? I don't think so!)
Boat pose: 30 seconds
Bicycle crunches: 2 sets of 30
Side plank with twist: 11 reps each side.

10 comments:

  1. Great job on averting the binge and your renewed clean eating. (I wouldn't want to part with the alcohol ration, either...we have to live a little!)

    Any review of Green and Black's Chocolate? (I think that's the name.) I have a British friend and she keeps a little stash of it in her purse for "emergencies" - she says it is her favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. WE're in a similar place right now - I had the same realization recently about my calorie intake... even though it is healthy, the calories are still there...

    And I also totally "get" the familiarity of BN2 knowing your story. I miss that about PLC sometimes. But then all I have to do is remember the few times he used my past obesity against me, and I get over that sadness REAL quick.

    Good job not binging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I wasn't getting what I wanted. But nor, I realized, was cake going to fix that. In fact, I knew I'd likely feel sadder if I'd binged. So I didn't."

    THIS is huge. I always ALWAYS know that binging will make the problem worse, not better, and yet I do it in spite of this awareness, or maybe even because of it...such is my self-destructive streak. I also feel your pain on the eating on date issue...I need to be sure they're aware that we're both to come fed unless the date is specifically dinner, and if that's the case then the restaurant HAS to be chosen in advance so I can study the menu beforehand on my own rather than under any man's watchful eye. sigh.

    Also, being lonely in company is the most soul destroying loneliness there is. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. About Green and Black chocolate. They used to be the best but lately, for whatever reason, they have taken to adding milk powder to all the versions of their chocolate, even the 85% one. Very frustrating for a dark chocolate fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love Green & Blacks, but it's since been surpassed by Montezuma or -- when I can afford it/get my hands on it -- Rococo. William Curley does London's best hot chocolate, but their chocolate bars are only for sale in a few places. Green & Blacks is far, far easier to come by (and cheaper) than the others. Do not fall prey to Seeds of Change chocolate -- I bought some on sale and realized promptly why it was on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being able to engage your brain over emotions and not binging is pretty damn fantastic and I, for one, am very impressed.

    White chocolate pusher guy? No, he's weird. You said no, it means no - it's not hard to grasp. You don't have to explain or justify - it's just no.

    (And even a chocoholic like me doesn't like white chocolate - bleurgh)

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news about resisting the chocs/fudge binge. 2 weeks is brilliant stuff!

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually found some Green and Blacks chocolate in Whole Foods tonight, and savoured a small bar over about 2 hours (eat chocolate/shop/drive, repeat!). It was 70%, and quite enjoyable.

    Can you buy Rococo or Montezuma in the US? If so, where should I look?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally with you re Montezuma... has surpassed G&Bs for me too. I knew bloody Cadbury taking over would ruin it eventually. Booooo!

    So glad to hear you're feeling good. Hurrah for averting the binge!

    What I'd like to know is what do you do when you realise binging won't make you feel better, so you don't binge, but you just sit there with that loneliness/empty feeling... do you ever feel kind of disappointed that you don't have the distraction of the binge? sometimes it is just so hard to sit there knowing there is no easy way to fix what's really troubling you and knowing that even if you stuffed your face nothing would change. ahhh reality. i dunno if that even makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, I don't think either Rococo or Montezuma are available in US (yet). Both ship, though, so they may do internationally if you ask them nicely!

    Shauna, I actually know exactly what you mean. I think it's why I still binge sometimes -- because it's the most familiar way I know of blotting out the feeling for a while, and I guess part of me still hopes it will/really wants it to work. Because the alternative is basically me sitting there knowing the feeling will pass (well, there's a bit of hope there, too) but just wanting it to cycle through quicker already. In some ways I think it's like messing with a pimple. You can let it run its course with minimal interference -- knowing it's sorta kinda ugly and you're not very happy with it -- or you can try to force your "go away" will on it by picking and prodding and thus turning it into something really ugly that will take way longer to go away or even scar. But maybe that's just me. And keep in mind it's midnight as I'm writing this and I've had a grim end to my evening! (No binge, though.)

    ReplyDelete