Monday 24 January 2011

Fat Girl Cliches

It's a fat girl cliché to break one's scales, but what does it mean to break a measuring spoon?

For the record, I broke mine while washing it – not while doing anything waistline unfriendly (let's face it, if I were doing something waistline unfriendly I surely wouldn't be doing it with a teaspoon in hand!)

I've started a couple of posts and not managed to get farther than a few sentences thanks to working until 11 pm every night. So if anyone is still out there... I haven't disappeared over the side of the bingeing cliff. In fact, today marks 15 days without a binge – I'd have to double-check, but that may be the most I've managed in New York.

I'm also doing reasonably well on my efforts to reclaim both my waist and my lunch hour – I made it to yoga twice last week, no mean feat when it's been so cold here. I've been running regularly (five miles this morning). And I even managed to lift weights twice.

This morning I tried on my blue jeans, which I've been avoiding for the past couple of weeks. Think they're a mite too tight to leave the house in, but maybe next week...

6 comments:

  1. We're still out here - I was happy to see your post.

    It sounds as though you're in a better place - lots of self-care and 15 days binge-free is really great.

    Do you find the running helps with stress? Or does it stress you out trying to find the time to fit running into your busy life?

    Sorry - I am full of questions! - I've been doing a lot of thinking about normal eating vs. binge eating lately. I'm wondering if you've ever been advised to tally up the binge-free days, or is it something you do on your own? Is there a difference between being off-track with your eating and bingeing (i.e. are there days that you don't eat exactly how you wanted to, but are still considered to be binge-free)?

    BTW: No judgements here - I'm just trying to figure it all out, as a fellow-binger.

    To me, for you to be weathering so much stress AND taking care of yourself is admirable. Your inner strength is prevailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still here, and so glad to see you taking better care of yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed and impressed, as always, at your incredible toughness. To get back on track and start caring for yourself again, given all that you're going through, is nothing short of remarkable.

    I'd also be interested in your answers to the questions Debbie asked.

    I have my own question which you probably cant really answer succinctly,but what really made the change for you - how did you manage to address binge eating and lose weight? Was it CBT? I have no idea where to even start, and I am getting steadily fatter and steadily more miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still here too. And I find your postings so inspirational. I am a binger as well and I find it so uplifting to see how many days you manage to go without. I seem to barely be able to make it past a couple. I've decided to just take it one day at a time and go from there. I am happy to hear that you are finding time for yourself. I know that you are unhappy with the city you live in and the job you have but it all seems very glamorous to me. Not that it probably helps but I read your blog and it's almost like a novel to me. Chin up and I hope you find the happiness you so deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do find running helps with stress. Exercise, for me, is like a reset button. Doing it first thing in the morning helps me all day. (I actually only get stressed out trying to get in a workout if I haven't done it first thing in the morning. As a friend likes to say, you always have time for the first thing you do every morning.)

    Yes, there is a difference between being off-track with eating and bingeing – and in fact, I almost am most proud of myself when I have the former without it turning into the latter. That middle ground – I guess what most people would call "normal" overeating – is the hardest thing for me.

    ReplyDelete