Friday 7 January 2011

Hate Is a Strong Word, and One That's Totally Applicable in This Case

Last night I walked out of the office in tears and thought briefly about what would happen if I never came back. I had it in my head that I would quit in mid-May, but I don't know if I can make it even that long. The trouble is that I'm so exhausted and I work so many hours that I can barely keep it all together, let alone attempt to set anything in place so I can escape.

In an attempt not to burst into tears in the office earlier in the day, I sent my dad an email that said only: I hate this job so much that I don't know how much I can bear. This was a stupid move on my part: My dad is the sort of person who, as I worried about having enough money even to take the Tube in 2009, "sympathized" by saying things had gotten tough at his company, too – "We can no longer fly business class," he told me. Anyway, he wrote that he could commiserate. I'm seeing him on Monday, and – though he usually ignores any instructions I give him about acceptable conversation topics – I told him I didn't want to talk about it. All that happens when I talk about it is that I'm whipped up into a frenzy of hatred and despair – who needs that in the few free hours I have?

Plus I really don't want to hear his opinion about how I need to stick it out for a year. If I want to be a writer no one cares about my CV – it's all my ideas and what I can, erm, write. Yes, maybe the magazine I work for might be a source of freelance work in the future and maybe I'll be cutting myself off from it if I leave, but that's a gamble I'm going to have to take – assuming I can summon the nerve (and figure out the cash) to get the hell out.

The whole job situation makes me feel terribly alone. I get emails from casual friends and contacts that say things like: "So, do you love it?" and I just want to scream. It's tough to go out in the evenings, (a) because I can barely get out of the office, and (b) because, as I've said before, one cannot radiate negativity about the job one moved a continent for to new people, and I'm too exhausted to fake it.

Enough. In my continuing effort to reclaim my lunch hour and my waist, I've hit vinyasa yoga three times this week. I'm going to try to go twice a week, I think. (It's tougher than you'd think only because my time in this job is not my own. It's hard to control when my lunch hour actually will be, let alone actually make a class.) I've also run twice (just 3 miles each time, instead of my standard six) and eaten appropriately. I have a big eating and drinking weekend – a hen 'do, a friend in town, an engagement party – so am hoping not to go too crazy. A friend has suggested the three-bite rule, which I'm debating employing, though I tend to do better with none than some.

As if all of the above weren't enough, I'm feeling rather fragile – and fat – at the moment. This was not helped by a woman at an event I was at tonight running up to me, putting her hands on my arms, squeezing me and saying: "I love your dress. Who makes it?"

Diane von Furstenberg, I told her, inwardly yearning for England, where no one would invade your space like that. Something about her tone made me take an instant dislike to her, and my gut wasn't wrong.

"Is it this season?" she asked.

"No, it's a couple of years old," I told her. I refrained from adding – as I might have had I wanted to carry on talking with her – that I'd bought it at either Harvey Nichols or Harrods (can't remember which) when a friend was visiting for New Year's 2008, and we'd hit the sales.

"Oh," she said, looking scornful. (Her outfit, for the record, was nothing spectacular, and she had on makeup that could have used an update.)

"I loooove Diane von Furstenberg," she said. "Wanna know why?"

Um, no, but I'm sure you're going to tell me.

"Because I can fit into her size 12s, you know?" She winked conspiratorially.

Of course I immediately wondered if this woman thought I were a size 12 (for you UK readers, that's a 16). I don't want to say my night was ruined, but it certainly didn't help my state of mind. Have I really gone from a size 6 to a 12 (or looking like one) in two months? Reason No. 428 I hate my job...

6 comments:

  1. What are the disadvantages of leaving your job NOW?

    This entry reminds me so much of myself. How many times did I absolutely hate my job but held on to it, anyway? Afterwards, I was told to be proud of myself for getting through with it - but I felt like I had wasted an awful amount of time waiting for my life, hating it, oh yeah, and eating my way through it.
    In retrospect, these hard jobs didn't do nearly as much for me as I had hoped for. Instead, they had other implications: The stress caused serious health problems, I gained about 50 pounds, and I left feeling utterly incompetent. Today I wonder if these few contacts I made on the job really were worth a depression, a year of losing all that weight afterwards, and the low self-esteem that unsuspiciously had clouded the perception of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re the DVF woman, she clearly has a lot of her own insecurities which she projected onto you - ignore her!! You do NOT look anything like a 12/16!!

    I really feel for you doing the job you hate. You will come to the right decision of when is best for you to leave, just let your mind mull it over and try not to get bogged down in the extraneous stuff.

    The other thing which has helped me when having a shit time in the past is to lose the guilt. It sounds to me (and I could well be wrong so if I am ignore...) that some of your pain is caused by the feeling that you've made a mistake, made the wrong decision and that you "should" be enjoying life more. If you lose that element to it and just accept that life is going to be rubbish for a bit, you might free up your mind to make the decisions you need to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DVF dresses, if I'm not mistaken, are universally flattering - so I'm guessing that her comment was more about THAT than about your specific size. I'm sure you looked stunning, but I can also imagine the situation and I'd be irked / self conscious too...

    I do better if I don't start -- except that the three bite rule imposes a rule, and I'm not a rule breaker so for some reason that works for me...

    And I keep telling you to give it a year too, but that isn't for your resume / CV as much as it is for what you'll be able to take away from it, and you'll know you gave it your BEST shot and then you can leave and take all those contacts with you... BUT, if you quit tomorrow, that works too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a bitch, plain and simple. Oh my goodness. What a shallow, shallow bitch full o' issues. I am sure you look as stunning as ever! I wish I could whisk you back to the UK where that kind of statement would earn you a slap in the chops. My heart goes out to you comrade, thinking of you xxox xxox xxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life it way too short to be doing something that you desparately hate so much Beth. You are such a talented and gifted writer - get out there and "sound your barbaric Yop from the mountain top!" (ref: Dead Poets Society).
    As for the catty witch - she probably had to put you down so she would feel better about herself. Don't let her spoil all the progress you've been making this week!

    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. This job sounds so horrific and is taking such a toll on you, I think you should just resolve to leave as soon as it is feasible. You don't want to be an editor, so who cares about getting the experience? Work out how soon you can go, and then start counting down. It will make the remaining time in the job easier to bear too!

    ReplyDelete