Sunday 21 January 2007

The Joy of Cooking

My friend A. greeted me today with: "So, are you still doing your diet thing?"

I was hoping it might be in my head that the 17 pounds I have lost make not one whit of difference in my appearance. Obviously not.

* * *

It's been a brutal week, but a lovely weekend. I hit two markets (Borough Market and the Columbia Flower Market), saw a friend's statue unveiled in Trafalgar Square, watched three films -- and rediscovered the joy of cooking.

In years past, whenever I've tried to lose weight, I eat the same things again and again. (One of my diets seemed to consist almost exclusively of eggbeaters omelets, Boca burgers, cereal and cantaloupe.) Usually I choose foods that are safe and easy -- and besides, I've always been too hungry to spend even an extra minute around food.

Not this time around. One of my New Year's Resolutions was to cook at least one new recipe a month -- fairly ambitious when you consider I probably didn't cook even one last year. (It doesn't help that I don't have a freezer.) Last week I made a macaroni and cheese bake (relax, it had cauliflower and lowfat yogurt). I felt so smugly healthy eating my homemade lunch at work that today I tried a bean stew, which turned out to be not nearly as much of a production as I expected. And it was delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. Both recipes sound good. S. told me about your brutal week (I hadn't seen the news). Glad to hear you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 17 pounds does make a difference. I know when I keep putting on and losing the same 27 it makes a difference to me....5 pounds down and 22 to go. But I know I don't look thinner yet, perhaps just a little less bloated in the face. Don't let negative comments discourage you if you can help it!

    ReplyDelete