Wednesday 14 January 2009

At Sea

Weeks and years from now, when I look back, I will divide my life in to Before Friday the 9th and After Friday the 9th.

Before Friday, I worried about food and weight and whether I’d ever get out of this crummy yet addictive relationship with BN2 / be able to make it as a freelance writer / finish – well, start – my novel / get round to clearing my flat.

Then – in the space of an evening – I destroyed my life, and with it the luxury of normal (or vaguely normal) worries.

Some things are too personal to share even anonymously with the Internet. But there is no melodrama in the “destroyed,” I can promise you that. Under the influence of a vat of white wine (actually, a colleague there that night said when he arrived – probably about the time I was finishing my first drink – he wondered if I were “having a bad reaction to something”), I did something illegal. And got caught. On top of that, it was an evening out with work people, and the people I work with are journalists. We gossip for a living.

I didn’t kill or hurt anyone – only myself. I made amends. But the consequences of what I did are still rolling as hard and fast as a high tide. I feel under water. On Monday the traffic light was broken at a busy intersection by my flat, and twice I crossed it without looking.

I saw a counselor yesterday who told me this kind of thing can happen to food addicts – that nearly all of his bulimic patients need to give up alcohol. He told me that almost everyone – non-addicts included -- has done things when drunk that were against their values. I felt a bit better. And then came another wave of consequences, and I wondered if I might drown.

Today I watched people on the Tube, wondering what secrets they might be hiding. I got frustrated with the incompetence of a salesman at the Carphone Warehouse, who managed to lock me out of an entire mobile network and several credit cards in the space of about five minutes. When I was asked if I wanted to make a formal complaint, I started to, and then stopped. Maybe there are extenuating circumstances in his life.

I haven’t eaten very healthily – twice in three days I’ve had pork pies for lunch, don’t ask me why they appeal – but I haven’t binged or even gone above my usual approximate calorie count. I stepped on the scale yesterday and 10 stone 13 ½ (153.5 lbs) flashed up. Post-Christmas, post-binge (Friday was also a food binge) – normally I’d have felt relieved to see that number. I felt nothing.

9 comments:

  1. You poor thing, this sounds like a really tough time in your life. Be kind to yourself and please watch out when crossing the road!

    Without knowing anything, I think even if you think you have destroyed your life, there is always hope for a new beginning- especially as you said you didn´t kill anyone :)

    Feel free to pour out your soul here (anonymously) if it helps.

    Renia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I'm so sorry. I know there really is nothing to say, but just know that we're listening.

    (sorry to pop out from lurker status on this post, but I just had to).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Beth. I'm sorry you're having a bad time and hope you can process it and start to come out the other end (as I'm sure you will) very soon.

    I've had that "blood running cold" feeling when thinking about some things I've done under the influence and I'm sure that "there, but for the grace of God" is something that applies to most if not all people.

    So, there's no judging from me, just sympathy and prayers that your situation gets better soon.

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep writing a comment and then deleting it. All I can say is I think we have a lot in common.

    This too shall pass - that saying always comforts me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to pop in and say 'been there, done that' and I'm feeling for you. The good thing is that you will find out who your real friends are and probably be surprised at where support comes from. Nearly everybody has done stupid things (those that haven't are probably just boring in general, or annoyingly 'put together' and free of issues). You will be fine, no, really, you will be fine. Try to look at it as an 'incident', not a defining moment of your life or an indication of who you are. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree with all of the above - everyone makes mistakes and it sounds as if you're going through a tough enough time without beating yourself up about it. You can't change the past so take a deep break and move on. (PS I am rubbish at doing this and still suffer horrors over stuff from years ago - but it is pointless). Take care and lots of positive waves of sympathy across the ether.

    love
    Peridot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope my post above sounds sympathetic enough - I really do feel for you and I hope things seem a bit brighter soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry you're going through a bad spell. I'm rooting for you, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!!! I really really hope you can straighten this out. However bad it looks now it will get better. And yes I have done things when drunk that would make you hair curl not proud but thats life we all trip up sometime.

    ReplyDelete