Sunday 15 February 2009

Broken

BN2 and I broke up yesterday. Yes, on Valentines’ Day. Well, it was at 1 am on Sunday, but…

I don’t really want to write about it because I don’t want to think about it, but all I’m doing is thinking about it. Nor do I want to write about it because I don’t want the sight of this entry to pain me every time I see it.

I know the mention of him will probably surprise you. I haven’t written about him at all in months – mostly out of shame. I know what I’ve settled for is not normal or right or even good for me, yet to date I haven’t been able to extricate myself from it. Partly it’s because I think I believe some of the horrible things he has said about me, and I fear he will be the only one willing to put up with me, and so I need to accept things on his terms.

How’s that for honesty after months of if not lying, at least committing some sin of omission (or feeling like I am)?

I can’t believe some of the things I have allowed to happen, I still can’t imagine life without him. I’ve seen or spoken to him every day since October, when we went exclusive. Before that he was a very constant presence in my life since December 2007, when we met at a Christmas party.

I’m terrified of life without him. And yet I’m terrified of life with him – of never even having the chance of having what I desperately want, which is someone who loves me.

I’ve been thinking for months about how to end things, but this wasn’t the ending I imagined. I’m not proud of how I behaved last night, and I must admit that alcohol was involved. (As was a mini-binge – 3 chocolate bars, which wouldn’t have been so terrible except that I lied to go off and buy them.) I feel terrible, especially after how sweet he was all day. We exchanged a handful of text messages today, and in one of them he told me how badly I’d hurt him.

Ugh.

We’re supposed to talk on Wednesday but I honestly don’t know if I can take hours of being berated, which is how he operates. In fact, the hours of recrimination were the catalyst for last night’s breakup. We were headed to the school disco with friends – me in the shortest miniskirt known to man – and I met a guy at the pub while I was getting drinks and BN2 was changing clothes. I introduced BN2 to him (yes, calling BN2 my boyfriend) – he was on his own waiting for friends going to the school disco – and his friends turned up and it was all fine and fun. Then at the disco itself at one point BN2 went to the bathroom and this guy – we’ll call him E. – offered to buy me a drink and asked me to help him carry his round. So far, so fine. Or so I thought. When BN2 came back he was furious with this. I apologized but told him he was overreacting (something I never do – I usually just apologize and the emotional beating still goes on for an age until he’s fully sure I “understand” him and have made appropriate amends and/or a plan so that it doesn’t happen in the future). I apologized several more times, but the thought of spending the whole night apologizing and having several pounds of flesh extracted made me want to lie down on the dance floor and die. I can’t remember exactly how it happened, but the next thing I knew I was suggesting we get a taxi back to his so I could get my keys and phone (I hadn’t brought them out – miniskirts are not known for storage space and my handbag didn’t look school disco-ish). We barely spoke in the taxi, and I got all of my things from his place. (There wasn’t much left after the fights of late.)

Sixty pounds later (eek), I was at my front door, the taxi driver telling me to take care of myself.

I couldn’t sleep last night. Today I couldn’t decide who to call, since I’ve been less than honest with so many of my friends about what’s going on with BN2 (whether we’re still seeing each other, what he does, etc). I ended up out with a friend from college who was there last night and who lives in the neighborhood.

I was almost ok -- if you define 'almost ok' as nearly everything making me tell some BN2 story -- until we stopped at Waitrose to do some food shopping. Waitrose is where BN2 shops. Where he does nearly all of the grocery shopping – and usually without me – because I have a hard time with it, and because I’m particular about when and how I do it. I’m not sure he does it totally willingly, and we’ve had fights about it, but he does do it.

I have a feeling this will be my life for several weeks or months and I dread it: Crying in the Waitrose over the fish pie he buys me because he knows I like it.

I want to jump out of my skin. I want to cut my head off and throw it across the room.

I want time to pass. I want this to all be wrapped up neatly in a bow without me having to do anything painful, or endure any more pain.

I can’t have any of these things.

I am exhausted and yet can’t sleep. I dread the next days of not even having an office to go to or a project that consumes enough mental energy for me to stop thinking about all of this for two seconds. I fear that I will crumple Wednesday when I see him, that I’ll agree to a peace treaty with impossible terms (as I did a few weeks ago), we’ll get back together and I’ll have to go through all this pain again down the line. At the same time, I fear that I’ll never see him or speak to him again. I fear him hating me. I fear that I am the selfish cold fish he tells me I am. I fear that our problems are what he believes they are – only problems because I don’t try hard enough. Because I am not good enough.

I couldn’t finish my dinner tonight.

12 comments:

  1. And in essence the problem with having a blog. You start a blog to get out all those secrets and issues and then find yourself afraid to post anything for fear of do-gooders and drive bys. We all know about BN2s. Everyone has had one. And everyone gets you going back over and over. Trust me, I get it. I think I can only contribute that one day you will realize what a waste all this was when someone really nice and considerate gives all his best to you. But go through what you have to go through and don't be afraid to post about it. It may just be what you need to get through it. From, your cheering section from the other side of the pond. And ps, jealous of the miniskirt, so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, if you're afraid of caving Wednesday, then don't see him. Tell him you need more time for your own thoughts. Don't feel like you owe him, like you're obligated to sit through this evening while he verbally whittles down your perceptions and convictions. By what I read in your blog over the last two years, you don't owe him anything.
    Be strong girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no oh no oh no... i am so sorry! it breaks my heart to hear you hurting so badly. he just sounds so bloody manipulative, i could cheerfully deck him. you ARE good enough and deserve so much better. i mean that sincerely and only hope you will see and believe that someday soon. will be thinking of you... take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SO NOT a selfish cold fish. I am afraid that he sounds like a manipulative, selfish bully - and you deserve so much better than this. You deserve someone who you don't think "puts up with you" but loves being with you. And what's with this him telling you you've hurt him, what about you? Don't let him shift all the blame on to you. And him being jealous is a bit rich.

    Phew, rant over, sorry about that. But really Beth, you deserve so much more. I know you hurt but maybe it's a shorter, sharper version than the hurt you were suffering with him, by degrees?

    And if you can bear to, try and get a bit active - exercise is supposed to be excellent for depression. I think you're doing really well - 3 chocolate bars does not a binge make, especially in these circumstances.

    Thinking of you.

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely ever leave comments on blogs but this entry has really moved me. I have had my own BN2 for the last 7 years and have finally just called it quits with him. What a waste of time to be with someone who makes you feel bad.

    I agree with all the previous comments. If you don't want to meet up with him Wednesday then don't. Be strong. There are so many men out there. I am actually following some advice I heard from Judge judy of all people. She said when you're 'courting' it should make you feel amazing. It doesn't get any better after that.

    You will get through this. Don't be foolish like me and stay any longer. Once you're completely out of it you will get some perspective. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, big hugs. Its funny because I thought the lack of mention of him lately meant you were already broken up. I agree with everyone above who said don´t see him on Wednesday- its too soon and why? So he can beat you up emotionally. This is a time to call on your reserves of friends and gain your strength back. I can tell from your posts that you are not a cold fish, but warm and giving. He is not your port in the current storm unfortunately and you need to put yourself first and not be around anyway who is going to make you feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Beth

    I also don't comment on here very often but I want to say this - feeling this bad within a relationship is a sign that it's wrong. Of course, as an outsider, it is easier to be objective but one thing I know for sure - you are not selfish. Quite the opposite.

    While this is going on, there can be no room in your life for a man who will love you for who you are, rather than who you are not.

    As a girl who made it a habit of loving guys who didn't love her back, take it from me - stepping away is the first step towards what you really really want (and deserve).

    Please give yourself some space because however painful that is (to not see him), I can say with absolute certainty that seeing him will be worse.

    Hang on in there. You are worth so much more. You really are.

    Big kiss and an even bigger hug.

    Mrs Lard xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreeing with everyone else here. Hugs to you.

    And tell him there's nothing to talk about (because, really, there isn't), and you won't be meeting him Wednesday, or ever. MOVE ON, girlfriend, and start today.

    Hugs again. :) This all makes me very glad I'm not dating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a rule that I rarely stick to but I think it is a good rule :) Don't see an ex for 3 months after the break up. Maybe even longer for some break ups. It took me 6 months before I agreed to see my most recent ex...time heals all wounds as they say. I am so sorry to hear that you are hurting. Break ups are so painful. I can relate.

    xoxo
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that you have to go through this; its shitty to feel like this. Try to be strong. You know you deserve better. I think it will be out there for you when you are ready for it. Don't settle. Life is too short. (Is that too many cliches for one comment?)
    Good luck! I'll be keeping a good thought for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seem to be having a problem leaving comments.

    Anyway, I hope that yesterday (Wednesday) went alright whatever happened. I thinking of you and hoping that you can see a chink of light at the end of the tunnel.

    Big hug chuck.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hate to get all bookist, but if you can get hold of a copy of "Emotional Abuse" by Patricia Evans - please please please read it.

    You will relate. And all of this you're feeling WILL start to make sense.

    xox
    Linda

    ReplyDelete