Tuesday 24 February 2009

Like It or Lump It

About 9 weeks ago I found – or to be more accurate, BN2 found – a lump on the side of my right breast. That first time, I didn’t want to feel it.

Then he found it again, and he made me touch it. It was hard, but with a bit of give. It felt exactly the way my face does when something huge and nasty is about to appear – like if I only squeeze it hard enough that will be the end of it.

It never works on my face, and I didn’t try it on the breast. It took me a couple of weeks, but I booked a GP appointment, and was unlucky enough to get the most unsympathetic (male) doctor I’ve ever seen. He told me he only had 10 minutes for me so I’d better get on with telling him what the problem was, and then he told me women in their 30s have lumpy breasts. My grandmother – my father’s mother – died of breast cancer in her 40s. I insisted on a scan.

A few weeks went by, and no referral letter. I called the doctor’s surgery several times – notable only because all I wanted to do was to sweep this whole thing under the carpet and pretend it didn’t exist. If I didn’t get a referral letter, then I wouldn’t have to find out.

I had my appointment this morning. There is indeed a lump. It is tender to the touch. And there is not a corresponding lump (or lumpiness) in the other breast – apparently it would be less of a cause for concern if both breasts were lumpy.

I had tears running down my face, and I can’t help worrying about the fact that the doctor saw that and didn’t tell me all the other things it could be besides cancer. She said usually they’d be able to do ultrasound on the same day, but that the radiologist wasn’t in today. She sent me back to the waiting room.

A nurse appeared a few minutes later and said a sentence that began “because you’re so young” and ended with “Thursday at 3 o’clock.” There was something about a mammogram and a biopsy in there. I stopped processing at that point. I didn’t even think to ask what I’ll know and when I’ll know it (in other words, do they put me out of my misery on Thursday or is there more waiting?).

It’s easy to become melodramatic in this situation, and I’m fighting it, though not very successfully. I went to the gym afterwards, wondering what the point was of all this effort to be slim if I’m going to lie around being sick and then dying. (Hello, melodrama.) I passed a Monsoon with cute spring-y dresses and wondered where I’d be and in what state of health when spring comes. I thought about how lucky I’d been with my left knee recently (several doctors had thought it would require surgery, but an MRI showed it wasn’t what anyone expected – and could probably be fixed with an injection of cortisone. Jury still out on that one) and wondered if my luck has run out.

I hope not.

10 comments:

  1. First things first - do you have anyone to go with you on Thursday? DO NOT GO ALONE!

    Second, get informed so that you can go in with questions. I imagine that you will see a consultant afterwards to discuss the results. Write down everything before you see the consultant. I can email you some links.

    Third - MASSIVE hugs and support hurtling down to you in the big city.

    Big kiss and hang on in there.

    Mrs Lxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a breast ultrasound a few months ago as the doctor thought one breast was a bit lumpy during a routine exam. I was told straight after the ultrasound that it seemed to be OK. I just wanted to let you know that you should get the OK immediately if that is the case.

    Big Hugs
    Renia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, hugs, vibes, and strength being sent your way. I have no words of advice -- other than to say that you've gotten yourself into tip top physical shape. That either means that you've perfectly healthy and the lump is just a lump. Or it means you've spent years preparing your body and mind to be able to fight like hell.

    Fight like hell if you have to.

    And I second the suggestion that you not go alone!

    Hugs,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big hugs and good thoughts coming your way! We're all pulling for you and sending the best vibes to London-town!
    Stay brave: you can pull through this. And you have people who will love an support you while you're on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I third the thing about taking someone with you. However strong you think you are, your brain can go to mush when faced with discussions about your health. I took someone when I was getting my results from an MRI scan on a tumour in my leg which turned out to be benign. It seemed (to the doctor - who had kept me waiting 2 weeks for the results while he went skiing) to be an overreaction but I'm glad my friend was there for the wait alone and, if it hadn't been benign, I wouldn't have been able to take in what needed to be heard or say what needed to be said.

    Thoughts and prayers with you. And all fingers and toes crossed.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you and crossing everything... xxox xxox xxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my 2 cents to try to help reduce your worry a little. :) I will be sending you lots of positive energy for your ultrasound!

    Please know that there are MANY other things that your lump could be, besides a tumor, and even tumors can be benign.

    I found a lump in my breast about a year and a half ago. I was 26 years old at the time. The other breast? No lumps, of course. The lump was painful at times throughout the day, and difficult for me to find unless I was standing and wearing a bra. I went to my GP and she had a hard time finding it, but finally said she felt "something." She recommended waiting a few months and maybe switching BC pills (which I had switched to a new type within a year previous). I did that for 4 months with no change. I finally saw a surgeon and subsequently had an ultrasound, which showed absolutely nothing. Although people could feel the lump, they couldn't find anything during screening. A needle biopsy wasn't possible because the lump was so moveable the surgeon didn't think she'd be able to hit it with a needle insert. So, we opted to wait and see if the size/pain change. After a year of no change I opted for removal of the lump just to get it off my mind and stop the pain. The surgeon guessed that it was something called a "lipoma," which is essentially a little fatty blob that is harder than the surrounding fatty tissue (breasts are primarily fat). I had surgery in March 2008 and she removed the lump. Went for biopsy and was totally nothing -- just a lipoma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your test. I agree with the others - take a friend with you to the test so that they can be there to listen and ask questions. My sister had a problem with a painful lump that turned out to be benign, but it scared her. I'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Beth

    How did it go today= Thinking of you!

    Renia

    ReplyDelete