Monday 13 July 2009

Party On

Saturday night I went to a fancy dress party wearing the shortest skirt I have ever worn in my life. (Coaxed by a friend, I bought this Robin outfit, although I have neither that chest nor that hair, and I’m hoping the outfit wasn’t quite that form-fitting on me, but I guess I won’t known until I see pictures.)

It was fun, although one thing I didn’t particularly enjoy was the amount of attention I attracted on public transport with that shiny green skirt just barely poking out from underneath my short coat.

Despite drinking copious amounts of the host’s Moscow Mule cocktail – and parties and alcohol often being a binge trigger for me – I managed not to give in. The keys, for me, I think were: 1. I ate a good dinner beforehand. 2. I allowed myself a small treat before I went out (an iced gingerbread cookie). 3. I told myself if there were chocolate at the party, I could have one, but that was it. (I had two bites of a friend’s chocolate cupcake at the party. I might have eaten more, but the whole plate disappeared before I could get my hands on any more.) 4. I allowed myself another gingerbread cookie when I came home.

Yesterday, the day after the party, I had my usual post-drinking want-to-eat-everything-in-sight feeling – or at least, want to relax normal rules – but only allowed myself a slightly bigger afternoon snack than usual. (For the record, it was a Magnum bar, which I seem to crave every summer, then eat one and remember they’re really not all that fabulous. They really need to do something about that chemical-y taste to the vanilla ice cream. Or maybe I just need to stop eating the chocolate layer off first…)

I still don’t know what I weigh – haven’t braved the scale – but my clothes seem not to be as appallingly tight as they were last week (call me a pessimist, but I can’t help wondering if I’ve perhaps stretched them?). Could also fit into US size four jacket (UK 8/10) a friend gifted me with while in the US (it’s too small for her). Going to stop panicking, I think, although this weekend I need to squeeze myself into a wetsuit to windsurf (or try to windsurf) – and will be down in the West Country, with too many fabulous cream teas calling my name…

4 comments:

  1. Have fun in the West Country.

    I saw your post about New York. Hope you have applied - better to turn a job down (once you've been offered it) than to always wonder what if...

    Like Shauna, I would do almost anything to be in the big apple!! Good luck with your decision-making.

    Mrs Lard

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Size 4! That is awesome - must feel pretty darn good - keep up the good work. Obviously perceived weight gain was temporary. Have fun windsurfing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, cream teas. Perhaps allow yourself one? Surely the windsurfing will counter that? Especially if you're constantly falling off and hauling yourself back on (as I do) which must burn more calories than smugly gliding along!

    Well done on resisting the post booze binge. Perhaps eat the chocolate off the Magnum and then chuck it?! I don't think your clothes will have stretched by the way - mine sodding don't and I could do with the extra room!

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty damn jealous of the size8/10 stuff by the way!! Think it'll be a while before I'm seen in public in a "Sexy Robin" costume either - v v brave! As an aside, you sound a lot more chilled and just generally happier than you did a while ago....hope you are!

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete