Friday 21 December 2007

Pulling Power

“But we never got to talk about films and books and things,” the barrister said (almost mournfully?) as I left Thursday morning. I didn’t say anything. Then he said something like: “You would have been nice to meet at another time.”

That’s what I was thinking about this afternoon when my mobile rang, flashing up a number I didn’t recognize. It was another guy from that same party, who’d gotten my number from his friends (and who, for the record, left the party before the barrister even arrived).

(The barrister thought my new python knee high stiletto boots were trashy, and just typing the description, I almost agree. But they seem to have, erm, pulling power…)

I’m not remotely attracted to Bachelor No. 2, who, among other things, is divorced with a child. (After years of saying no freakin’ way, I am finally coming around to the idea that maybe maybe maybe I might want a child, but someone else’s wigs me out no end.) But it’s flattering to have someone get up the nerve to call you, especially in this country, and I can’t really think of a reason not to at least get a drink with him, so… Sigh. He seems nice. Maybe it will be fun.

* * *

I did binge at the Christmas party Wednesday – a medium-sized binge, but definitely qualifies as a binge because the feeling (the panic, the need) was there, and I’m not quite sure where it came from. Today – two days post-binge – I’m still feeling horribly fat. I washed my jeans and seriously feared they might not fit this morning (but they did).

Yesterday I went to a power plate class taught by an instructor wearing a sparkly gold dress as she was off to a Christmas party afterwards. I made a comment about Christmas eating and she said: “Well, at least you’re still at the gym. It’s been dead here this week.” Yes, but…

I’d planned to relax a bit foodwise over Christmas, but I don’t think I’ve earned that right at this point. Last year the food wasn’t so amazing that I should be eating 10 tons of it – actually, it wasn’t even that good -- so I need to keep that in mind. Ditto for the chocolate. There is no reason to mindlessly eat Celebrations or Cadbury Roses or whatever – I don’t even like it that much. If I am craving chocolate I shall wait for good chocolate. (I debated bringing a small bar of Green & Black’s dark, but I know if I have it I will definitely eat it.)

On that note, I must confess that I waited until the absolute last minute to buy Friend Bearing Chocolate’s parents some chocolate. I’m bringing a small box as an extra present (in addition to the other things I’ve bought them), and the box is just small enough for me to fear that I’d open it and dig in and then have to buy them another box. Chocolate isn’t usually such a big deal for me, but I seem to be so fragile these days I didn’t want to chance it.

I’m most likely offline until the 27th, when I’ll return and (hopefully) post about my great Christmas success. Have a happy one, and see you on the other side (preferably not size)!

2 comments:

  1. Beth,
    I've just found your blog through another blog. I struggle with weight as well. While I don't consider myself a binger, I definately have some self control issues (along with body image, shame, etc, etc) I've been hitting the gym (well, swimming pool) hard for the past few days. My goal is to get through the holiday without gaining anything. Hang in there. And have fun on your date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a absolute pleasure for me to discover your blog. I check in everyday for your latest news and update! You have done so well this year. Enjoy the holidays see you on the otherside.

    ReplyDelete