Tuesday 26 February 2008

True North

Repeat after me: No matter what the problem is, eating will not solve it.

I don’t really know what the problem is, but on Friday I ate over it. Yes, I binged – only less than four days after the last two-day bender. I left a lunch with a fellow journalist and just kept eating. That night I felt so sick I could hardly concentrate on what a friend was saying at dinner. At one point, I went to the bathroom and stood with my sweaty forehead against the cool stall door, willing myself to remember how awful being too horribly full feels so that I don’t do it again. I hate being that full. I hate being unable to concentrate; just wishing time would pass so that I’ll feel less full.

I feel OK now, if a bit shaky. I’ve made it through four days of eating appropriately, although I’m seriously nervous about the next couple of weeks. I’ve got a cream tea on Saturday for a friend’s leaving drinks, then a birthday dinner that night. And next week I’m running around Spain with a certain Oscar-winning Shakespeare in Love actress (hint: she looked like one of those pink-covered Hostess marshmallow cupcakes – I think they were called Snowballs -- when she accepted her award) and a very famous chef while they make a food show (eek!) for television. Then it’s back to London where I’ve got another fancy tea for a friend’s birthday Friday. And then it’s a ton of time in airports/on airplanes (a huge binge trigger for me) en route to Indonesia for vacation. (I’m already considering bringing all of my own food for the plane trip out so I don’t even have to think about what would be a good option.)

I’ve got two big problems at the moment. The first is that suddenly, all the foods I could just look past or through suddenly look very appealing. Every bakery window, every newsagent, everywhere I look there are things I want to eat. Even going into a market to buy fruit is a challenge – I’ll think I crave a grapefruit, but then end up buying an apple and a pear as well and being unable to choose which to eat. (I know an extra piece of fruit isn’t going to kill me – it’s just the idea that I don’t seem capable of making any food decisions at all.)

The second problem is that I’m not sure what the problem is – well, what the underlying problem is. Why am I suddenly bingeing? What am I trying to fix? I have this vague idea that it may be connected to Bachelor No. 2. As lovely as he is, as comfortable as I feel with him (and I do feel remarkably comfortable) and as well as things seem to be going, I’ve got a sense of uneasiness and imbalance that’s throwing my internal compass off its generally healthy north. I think a huge chunk of this is me and not him – the first therapist I had for binge eating told me I shouldn’t date at all while in treatment because it would just be too messy for me to handle; that I was just learning my own feelings and wouldn’t be able to deal with someone else’s. I also think part of my lapse is due to relationships in general – more meals out, more drinks, more reasons to stay cuddled up at home as opposed to trekking to Gloucester Road on a Sunday morning for Pilates! (But I did drag him for a run Saturday afternoon…It was short and about half the time I would have gone for had I gone myself, but at least we went.)

I’ve decided I probably won’t get on the scale until after my vacation, although I reserve the right to change that if I decide what I’m doing is avoiding facing the facts. But at the moment, my clothes still fit and today someone I haven’t seen in several weeks came into the office kitchen and said: “Hello, Miss Skinny.” Wish I could bottle that rush of pride – along with the memory of how it feels to be way too full – for weak moments.

3 comments:

  1. I am sure you have considered this, but do you think it could be that you are trying to sabotage yourself because you are the lightest you have been as an adult? I mean, if you still think of yourself as a 'big' person in your head (even though those around you can see that you are "Miss Skinny"), you may unconsciously be trying to make yourself bigger to fit your internal body image. Maybe that is why your cravings seem more intense lately?
    But, what do I know? I hope that you have success staying on track and that your vacation is really a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so strange....I logged into the comment section intending to say that it seems to me that youmight be sabotaging yourself. And there is dkaz saying the same thing!

    I have heard from a few people that their eating habits seemed to regress once they were at or near their goal weight. Is it as though, deep down, you feel you don't want to be (or don't deserve to be) thin?? Obviously that's rot but it may be one reason why you're suddenly doing more binging and doubting your relationship with BN2.

    Obviously the more practical reason - there's more food around and more opportunities to eat at the moment - must also contribute.

    I know all about the see food/want it thing. When my husband is away the house is purged of most bad foods and thus there is little temptation. This evening I walked into the kitchen to see a big, fresh, crusty, white loaf just sitting there next to the butter.....sigh.....

    I'm so jealous of Indonesia - have a wonderful time and do NOT stress about food!!! Just enjoy it.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am here to confirm the previous 2 posts. i think you may be unconsiously freaking out because you are at you slimmest and that is not sitting comfortably with you yet. So that makes you question all that you know, food choices relationship w BN2, etc. I know this cause after losing 80+ lbs, I plateaud for a while and every time I break my plateau, i seem to get off track and load on to fattening food. i am still struggling to let go of these last few lbs but I am clear they are a reflection of some deep seeded fear to be successful, and to fully step into my own. I am working on removing all this self doubt in the hopes that it will help me let go. Enjoy Indonesia. K.

    ReplyDelete