Wednesday 18 July 2012

Better Days

Yesterday, my sister posted photos on Facebook of a family gathering this past weekend with her husband's side – a huge clan that gathers for all kinds of events. I looked wistfully at the photos, because – thanks to deaths and grudges older than my sister and me -- our side of the family is tiny, and with a history of gathering only for milestone events (weddings, if that).

"I'm sure it had its trying moments," I wrote to my sister. "But I'm glad the munchkins [my nephews] get to have the experience."

Today she posted photos of the boys' birthday party back in June. These I also clicked through wistfully, because although I attended the event, I wasn't there. I had started bingeing the day before, which carried on to the day of the party (and on through my trip to London) – and at the point I'm guessing the photos were taken, I had popped back to her house as a timeout. I had been so full I could hardly stand up straight. Eventually I recovered enough to rejoin the party, which was at a park three blocks away, but the damage was done. I remember spending the last bits of the event loathing myself for bingeing for what was, then, the second day in a row. So even though I was there, I wasn't.

As always, I hope that was the last time I do something like that. But all I can say for anything close to sure is that at least today, I will not do that.

***

Last night comes back to me in flashes of shame. Not because I did anything terrible, but because I agreed to it in the first place.

I was meeting Mr. Disappointment, and it was, as his moniker would suggest (but I am an appallingly slow learner), a disappointment – even though this was to be meeting as friends.

After a lot of last-minute back and forth over the past few weeks, and nothing quite working out, we finally met up for a movie last night. He was driving back from the country, and said he'd meet me at 8.50 (movie was at 9.30) at a theatre in the East Village.

Ten minutes before the appointed time, he texted me that he was at a restaurant nearby grabbing food, and I agreed to come over there. (I'd already eaten.) I hadn't seen him since the beginning of May, and my first thought upon seeing him was: Ick. He looked sweaty and dirty and I'd forgotten about his weird front teeth. He had on cut-off jean shorts (yes, really) and black socks and black sneakers.

It was a noodle kitchen and he was seated at the counter, where there was no room for me. So I stood there awkwardly in the steam, feeling ridiculous and extraneous. Which is pretty much how I felt for the rest of the night.

We saw Savages. I am a somewhat violent movie watcher – which is to say, I react somewhat violently when there is violence, and in this film there is a lot – and at one point he looked over and said: "Are you OK?" When the film was over he said: "I'm going this way," pointing east. I said, "I'm going that way," pointing west.

He kissed me on both cheeks and I walked off without looking back. Rare for me, I didn't turn on my iPod and daydream. Instead I reviewed the evening, such as it was, and thought: You know what, if I want to see a movie I can go and see one myself, because that's pretty much what happened here. And then I thought something novel, at least for me: I deserve better.

Day thirteen.

3 comments:

  1. He would have lost me at "black sneakers and black socks."

    That movie looks terribly violent. Ick. Not a good date movie at all... but it doesn't really sound like a date. Sorry for the disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, sounds like one to write off quick smart! Sorry you had to go through that waste of an evening. But WELL DONE on day 13!!

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god you deserve better, I was planning on saying exactly that the moment you described his outfit. I am so so happy that you realise that for yourself. it's better to be alone than in such horrendously unglorious company, darling.x

    ReplyDelete