Wednesday 1 August 2012

And This, To Boot


No exercise of any kind whatsoever for at least two weeks.

That was the instruction from the doctor, who thinks I have a stress fracture. It is the “thinks” that is driving me crazy. Like, what if this isn’t the problem and he first has to start figuring out some other solution in two weeks? I’m guessing that whatever is wrong with my foot can only be helped by two weeks of rest, but still…

Possibly worse than the rest is the cast/boot I have to wear, which is more painful than the injury. Seriously. And I have to wear it all the time, including in my apartment. At the moment it is uncomfortable enough that I can hardly think straight. How on earth am I going to write?

I nearly cried when the doctor made his pronouncement – and that was before I knew about the boot (much less tried it). It set off – and continues to set off – a wave of panic about weight gain, bingeing, and total loss of fitness. (Oh, let’s be honest – the panic is about weight gain. If I could eat as much as I wanted and see no ill effects from it, I probably would.)

Immediately I started thinking about what and how I can cut my food because I am not exercising or even walking my usual amount, but I know that I can’t do that. So I feel trapped. Which, I don’t need to remind you, is a binge trigger.

I should laugh that I am this distraught about at least two weeks of being prohibited to exercise – my elementary/teenage self would have been delighted. But it's been since November 2006 since I went more than about four days without exercise. These days, working out is more than just calorie burn – it’s how I get going in the morning, how I de-stress, where I get ideas for stories, and often, how I think things out. I take a break from writing and I exercise or go for a walk with my ipod on, and sometimes, the words I tried all morning or afternoon to write unjumble themselves into a coherent thought. Sometimes.

Day 27.

6 comments:

  1. Ugh! I've had to wear "the boot of doom", too. About a year and a half ago - achilles injury. Not fun at all.

    Possible exercises - we had a hand bike machine at my PT gym. Not sure if you can get them at a reg gym, but very helpful in working up a sweat w/out using feet. Also, upper body weights on a seated machine or using resistance bands.

    Hope it heals soon! And keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dear friend who is a fitness freak. A few years ago, she broke her ankle. She did cut back on food a bit, but more importantly, she still exercised! She got one of those big, inflatable exercise balls, and used it to do various exercises, which I'm sure you could find on YouTube. She cranked some music and worked up a sweat! She didn't gain any weight, after being off her ankle for a month. You can do it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I had to go to YouTube to see what I could find. I put in "balance ball exercises," and there were a slew of videos to watch. Then I put in, "exercising with a hurt foot," (I am clearly not the writer you are), and a bunch of videos came up on exercises to do even in bed! There is still a way to get some exercise and keep your head clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who is currently in the boot for a stress fracture. She was very uncomfortable at first then she started wearing leggings or high socks underneath it. I believe that helped a bit. I'll ask if she has any other "boot" tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sucks about the boot! Sorry to hear that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just catching up here on the past month, and on a greedy selfish level I gotta say it is SO COOL having so many updates :)

    I am so sorry about the fracture! If i lived over there I'd come over with my punching pad things and you could box like a mofo! Hang in there comrade. Your strength has been amazing over the past month.

    ReplyDelete