Tuesday 7 August 2012

The Doctor Is In


Since when is everyone in my neighborhood a doctor?

It takes me longer than usual to get anywhere, not just because I limp, but because every nine feet someone stops me to ask about the cast. (It's happening enough that I no longer bother putting in my headphones to listen to music.)

Often the person has at some point had to wear one, and stops to (a) learn what my injury is (you can always tell what theirs was because that's the question they ask you), (b) comment on how fancy my cast is (it's got a built-in inflatable cushion!), (c) commiserate about how tough and frustrating it is, and/or (d) offer "advice."

I'm fine with the first three, but it is the last one that is really starting to annoy me. Whenever I comment that I am only allowed seated arms and abs, the person inevitably says: "Oh, but swimming is good and low impact."

"Yes, but I specifically asked about that and he specifically said no," I say.

This is when they tell me that doctors "say" all kinds of things, doctors are too strict and I'll be fine swimming, that _they_ were allowed to swim...

When I tell them I am keen to heal as quickly as possible so for once in my life I am doing exactly as I've been told (or as close to I've been told as possible), they inevitably frown.

"But swimming is no impact," they say, looking at me like I am just being the fat girl who is looking for any excuse not to participate in gym class.

"I think he was concerned I could bend my foot at a bad angle," I say.

More frowning. "But.."

"Thanks," I say firmly. "Part of the reason I have this problem now is because I tried to fix another problem myself. So I'm going to listen to instructions."

"But I swam and I was fine," the person will say.

"I specifically asked and he specifically said no," I say, smiling brightly. "And I would rather do nothing for two weeks and heal faster than kick along at half-mast for several months because I was so determined to cheat."

Person shrugs. Walks off, leaving me wonder if I am crazy for, uh, actually following the advice I am paying for. At the tail end of that is fear that my very limited mobility will go on for weeks -- and that my level of fitness will be so far shot that I will hardly be able to do anything. And that I will give it all up, and go back to 240 pounds.

My mind never stops sprinting and leaping even when I can't.

Day 33. 

10 comments:

  1. When I am not in the mood to talk to people (like when I'm walking my dog for exercise, and they want to talk about how pretty he is...because he is), I just say, in a breezy way, "Oh, sorry, I can't talk right now!" and keep walking. In your case, I think I would leave my earphones in, and just point to them and keep walking. I'm sure most people are just wanting to help, but if it sends you down the road of negative thoughts, you've gotta give it up. Of course, all bets are off if the person interrupting is a hot guy. :-)

    And, for the record, I think following the doc's advice in this case is the wisest thing to do. You'll be working out before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have post traumatic stress disorder following a horrible accident I had on the underground. I receive unsolicited, unwanted advice about how to "get over" it from people who have absolutely no clue nearly every day.

    In the end, only YOU can make the choice about how to best look after yourself. It really is no one else's business what that choice is, even if they only want to "help".

    Hope the injury heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think following the dr's advice is the only way to go - take it from a girl who has broken the same wrist twice, fractured my elbow, and sprained a dozen ankles.

    Also, I HIGHLY doubt anybody looks at you and sees a fat girl.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just smile and say, "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Amy... "oh..good idea, I will start that tomorrow, thanks!" hehe. Hope the injury heals swiftly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I HATE it that bodies that are viewed as having a temporary medical/physical state are seen as being fair game for public commentary or an invitation to conversation. I've never been pregnant, but I know when I am this will be one of the issues that will irk me on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of when I went backpacking and decided to splash out on really good shoes. BUT, when I started talking about that, three people piped up with advice that I didn't need to waste my money, my sneakers would be fine yada, yada. Nope. Blisters. I ended up giving those torture devices to a homeless person in Florence and walking barefoot to the Reebok shop where I spent a fortune on awesome walking shoes and spongy socks. People sometimes do actually not know what the hell they are talking about. People want to display their knowledge, even when they don't really have any (i.e. yes, everyone is a doctor, also an expert on travel footwear).

    ReplyDelete
  8. ASSVICE! People love love love to tell you you're doing it wrong. Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not that *you* are doing it wrong... I meant in general, y'know? Especially if you are bonkers enough to have a public blog. This year I've been told in eleven different ways that I am failing gardening :D

    ReplyDelete