Wednesday 6 May 2009

At That Particular Time

I spent Saturday night awake downstairs on the sofa at BN2’s, my mobile phone in hand, ready to dial the police at every creak of floorboard. It was after midnight, we’d been arguing and for once I’d refused to stay up half the night apologizing and groveling and making promises. He told me, among other things, that I was on dangerous ground. He flicked on the light and yelled at me so loudly I shivered. My legs shook when I got out bed. I debated lying down on the floor of his 2-year-old daughter’s bedroom, because I didn’t think he’d hurt me there. Instead I went downstairs.

The next morning – as his daughter was watching Cinderella (oh irony, sweet irony – will my prince come someday?) – I left.

I didn’t yell. I didn’t scream. I didn’t tell him every nasty thing I’d ever thought, every resentment, every hurt. Several times over the week I'd tried to tell him how I was feeling, and he'd mocked me – mimicking my voice and looking at me with contempt. How horribly familiar I am with that look! In the weeks and months before that whenever I dared to tell him anything negative about how I was feeling, he’d told me alternately that my feelings didn’t matter (I remember him thundering this at me in Bucharest: "Your feelings don't matter!"), that he was the aggrieved party, and that I was selfish and self-obsessed and inconsiderate for not being able to put my own feelings aside.

Someday I’ll write the whole story, but the important part is this: I packed as much of my stuff as I could while he was giving his daughter breakfast. I’d hoped to avoid leaving in front of her, but I couldn’t stay even one more hour, let alone the one more day it would take until she went back to her mother.

They lay on his bed watching Cinderella, she dressed in her little blue Cinderella costume. I stood looking out the window, my back to the bed, crying. Finally I turned around and took one more look around the room I'd spent so much time in; a room I'll probably never see again. The bedside clock read 9:14 am, and I steeled myself to just do it before I lost either my nerve or my opportunity.

“I lay awake all night thinking about an action plan,” I told him. That was what he always demanded of me: an action plan for how I was going to prevent whatever I’d done from happening in the future. And it was always what I had done – all my fault.

He barely looked at me. “That was a waste – we could have been talking,” he said. He was angry that I’d refused to stay up arguing. In the past whenever I’d tried to refuse he’d steamrollered me, but I’d stood my ground the night before, just repeating with a calm I didn't know I had: "I'm sorry, I can't answer that right now." He’d been furious, referring to it as my “assertive crap.”

His eyes were half closed and he flicked them open. “I presume this is your way of saying you’re ready to talk?” he said.

His daughter spied my backpack and chirped, the way she did when I left for work: “Beth is leaving.”

I took a deep breath. “No,” I said quietly. “There’s nothing to talk about. Goodbye.” I walked out the door and toward the stairs.

He got out of bed and followed me, saying something about how he deserved an explanation and what kind of sh*t was this.

“I was physically afraid of you last night,” I told him, heading down the stairs.

“That’s a convenient excuse,” he snapped. Which is exactly what he’d said Friday when I’d tried to tell him my resentment and anger at his constant criticism of me was making me not fancy him. (We fought constantly about sex and how often he wanted it and how high he prioritized it, and on one night he’d even catalogued my physical defects that he felt interfered. If I’m making it sound cold and clinical, it’s because it’s the only way I can write about it just now.)

“I tried to tell you how I felt earlier this week and you mocked me and belittled me,” I said.

“I’m not having a conversation with the back of your head,” he said loudly. Maybe he yelled – I’m not sure. I continued on down the stairs, not turning around.

“Can you tell me in one succinct sentence why it is that you’re leaving?” he said (yelled?)

Again I breathed deep. I didn’t turn around.

“I’m unhappy,” I said calmly. “In fact, I’m miserable. I’m leaving your keys here.” I hung them on the hook, picked up my backpack and handbag, and walked out the door.

To be continued

15 comments:

  1. Well done, Beth.
    I read your blog from time to time and sometimes I worry for you. Well done you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to stand up, applaud you, heap praises on you for leaving... not just because you conquered your own fears, but because you did so with class, without stooping to his level, without letting him get the fight out of you that he so wanted...

    ...but also for showing that sweet little girl that you don't have to take shit from anybody, and you can leave whenever you want, just because you want.

    BUT... I'm not going to do that. Because I'm sure you are very overwhelmed right now and emotional and sad and scared and freaked out and a million different things...

    So I will just say:

    I'm here.
    I'm proud.
    I understand.

    (and you know that I do).

    Hugs,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong. Your heart knows what to do. We're here and listening and loving you. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very brave to write this and very brave to take the action you did. I know it will be hard for you over the coming days and weeks but BN02 was not your Prince Charming - nor anyone's Prince Charming I imagine - but more like a fairytale monster. I know no-one has the right to take your self respect etc etc but he was doing a pretty good job at breaking you down and reducing you to the point where all you had left was him. You deserve SO much more than this. I fear for his daughter, growing up with this bully as a role model.

    Stay strong - you are, you know.

    lots of love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you're feeling wretched right now, but you should at least be very proud of yourself.
    You can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Beth good on you for walking away. You gave me feel sick to my stomach because from this entry he sounds even more cruel and abusive than you ever let on before. I hope you are okay... stay strong. take care of your lovely self. thinking of you xxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasted so many years on such a person and am finally free.

    Well done on walking away. You deserve so much better than him.

    I do worry about his daughter, poor thing.

    There are much nicer men out there and you will find the right one some day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thank sweet baby Jebus for that!!!

    Beth, when the dust settles, please please please buy yourself a copy of "verbal Abuse" by Paticia Evans. You'll wonder why you stayed so long. But I promise it will make you start feeling saner.

    Ok? hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. And thank sweet baby Jebus for that!!!

    Beth, when the dust settles, please please please buy yourself a copy of "verbal Abuse" by Paticia Evans. You'll wonder why you stayed so long. But I promise it will make you start feeling saner.

    Ok? hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so proud of you for doing this. No one deserves to be treated as he's treated you. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally. You finally have liberated your worthy self from his worthless ass and this tough relationship. I had a similar relationship last year that ended with me being physically assaulted. So believe me--that instinct in you that screams fear--it's worth listening to. I'm glad you walked out of that door and I truly hope you have enough self-love and self-preservation to never go back. This whole "belittling" act is his way of trapping you into feeling that you are not worthy enough of anyone but him---far from the actual truth. So grasp this freedom and don't let it go for him ever again. I'm so proud of you!

    foodiegettingfit dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand.

    Take care.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. The whole scenario resonates with me, sadly. You did the right thing. God wants us to be happy. It's not supposed to be a miserable effing ordeal all of the time. I hope that you find the happiness you deserve. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read your blog a long time and never commented but had to finally because I was so shocked to read the part of your post about the 'action plan' because my ex said the exact same thing to me. It got to the point where I went to counseling to find out how to control the anger/emotional problems he said I had. Two different counselors heard my story and independantly, gently told me it wasn't me who had anger problems.

    My ex also had the same pattern of abuse to break down my self-confidence, then pleading to get me back - my councellor called it the cycle of: "I hate you, you're worthless . . . how can you leave me you b*tch." Please stay strong and don't give in to the pleading part of the cycle - he hasn't learned anything and every time you go back you reinforce it. I second the recommendation for Patricia Evans' book, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete