Friday 15 May 2009

You Say It's Your Birthday

I spent part of my birthday reading bridal magazines.

No, I’m not delusional or sadistic. I’m just on a (self-imposed) regime of pitching one story every single day, and today’s was an idea that I thought might work for a bridal magazine. So I had to buy some to research. (They were all cellophane-wrapped, so I couldn’t just flip through them.) I feared the cashier might congratulate me when I bought them or something awful like that, but instead she looked irritated as I dithered about whether to buy a Divine dark chocolate bar (I bought it) and asked in a bored tone whether I’d like a bag.

It’s been a quiet day. I went to Pilates this morning with my favorite instructor. Yes, he’s probably my favorite because he always tells me how great I look. (I took my first-ever class at this studio – probably about 40 pounds ago – with him.) Today he told me he almost didn’t recognize me when he came back from several months away, and told me I should go have a red velvet cupcake from Hummingbird Bakery. Hmmm. I just might. (Update: I didn’t have time to go somewhere tried and tested, so I picked up a cupcake from Euphorium Bakery. Soooo disappointing, especially the frosting. I actually made myself throw some of the frosting out, lest I do my usual "oh, I'll keep tasting it to see if it still tastes bad." Very cross. What a waste of calories. Just chased it now with a few dark chocolate squares, if you can believe...)

When I first walked in the Pilates studio, he told me he hadn’t seen me in a while, and asked me where I’d been. I tried to think. Ummm, nowhere? Then I couldn’t help remembering that the last time I’d seen him was, I think, two Saturdays ago. Just after I kissed BN2 goodbye for what I didn’t know would be the last time.

Tonight it’s some champagne with friends, where hopefully I will not get too drunk and (a) call or text BN2, (b) cry, (c) binge, or (d) miss my flight to Istanbul tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Stay strong, you can manage all of those (apart from missing the flight that is!). I'm very jealous about Istanbul; it's somewhere I've wanted to go for ages.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time in Turkey, that will be amazing. Happy Birthday!

    Maybe think about leaving your phone at home? Hard to do, just a thought.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete