Wednesday 13 May 2009

Pieces of Me

For a few seconds – a flash, as I was rushing down Bond Street en route to my second meeting of the day – I felt like my old self. Not myself of Before I Left BN2, but myself pre-November, when I was (mostly) happy and busy and employed. When my days were a blur of media and meetings and parties and interviews and writing, and I never had to worry about having an unproductive day because no matter what, I still was getting a paycheck.

None of today’s meetings is likely to result in a paycheck, but I had a brief glimpse of what my life could be like – possibly even a better version of the way it was pre-November (and not just because there’s no BN2, either.)

Then I was brought back down to earth.

Earlier today, I saw my counselor – actually for the first time since I left BN2 (counselor – who we’ll call A. -- was ill last week). I told a few parts of the story of my leaving. I cried, off and on, silent tears running down my face, squashing all of my tissues up in a ball the way – I remembered this briefly – I used to do with white bread in summer camp.

I cried because the story is painful. And because I think somehow I was able to get through until today because I thought today I would get to talk to BN2. I thought I’d discuss the note I wanted to send BN2 with A., and then I’d send it. Or even that I could just call him and say hello. (Hey, that’s why these are fantasies – because they are, um, fantasist.) And then I could stop thinking about making this OK for BN2 and focus on making it OK for myself.

I promised A. I would not contact BN2 without discussing it first – so no text message on a whim (or two glasses of wine).

“You have the rest of your life to say whatever you want to say to him,” A. – erm – counseled.

He also told me – “and I’m ready to be proven wrong” – that he fully expected me to have 12 grim weeks. “And if you’re not in another relationship” – the phrase caught my attention, because I wonder if I’d have stayed so long with BN2 if I ever thought I would meet anyone else – it could be another six or nine months on top of that.

Ugh.

1 comment:

  1. But those flashes of joy/contentment/whatever that you so eloquently describe will become more frequent and the painful episodes will become scarcer and the balance will shift until you're mostly happy, then almost entirely happy. It will happen - it doesn't diminish how you're feeling now but it will happen. I promise.

    love
    Peridot x

    ReplyDelete