Thursday 14 May 2009

This Is How You Remind Me

O’s number flashes up on my phone. O never calls me. He writes in the British Library and communicates exclusively via text.

He wants to know if I mind if he meets up with BN2 tonight. I am oddly touched that he asked, and yet I wish he hadn’t. (Because of a complex web of loyalties I feared my friendship with O would be one of the casualties of the split, even though he and BN2 hardly know each other.)

I think briefly and ungenerously that all of BN2’s other women must be booked – the ones I’m sure he was referring to “all I (willingly) gave up for you,” as he put it in his first text message after the split. I wonder if he wanted it to get back to me that he has spent at least one night not trying to shag other women. I decide that possibly it’s a combination of both – that he’s filling his time as I have been trying to fill my time.

My pause is just long enough for O to say awkwardly: “I mean, I don’t know if there’s daggers drawn between the two of you or whatever.”

“No, not on my side,” I say, and mean it. “I’m just sad, that’s all.”

“Yeah, it’s sad,” agrees O. I don’t tell him that tonight is the night BN2 wanted to celebrate my birthday, since he has his daughter tomorrow (my actual birthday).

When I get home two birthday cards have arrived in the post. One I think I recognize as Friend Bearing Chocolate’s mum, but quickly realize from the return address is BN2’s mum. (Do all mums in this country have the same handwriting?) I turn over the second card and see a row of x’s – kisses – on the back. BN2.

It’s a New Yorker card. I haven’t read the New Yorker in front of him in at least a year, if ever (how did I get so far from it?), but somehow he’s remembered. The card makes me cry. “I’m sorry for whatever I did or didn’t do that’s made you eschew all further contact with me,” I think it says, among other things (I don’t want to read it again, and therefore cry again, so please excuse the lack of fact-checking. He did, for the record, definitely use the word “eschew.”).

I want to call him immediately, to give him a verbal hug. I want to meet up with him and talk about how we’ll work it out; to collaborate in the invention of the new us.

But I know that I can’t, and so I don’t.

Can I at least text him and thank him for the card? I think.

No, I cannot.

Oh, what’s the harm in a simple text?

NO.

I sit in front of my computer and try to work, but I just want to text him, or to eat. I just ate lunch a half hour ago. I wonder grumpily why I have to have a breakup now, when I can’t even shop as a distraction (can’t afford it).

I pick up my computer, buy two diet cherry Cokes (gross, I know, but they are a habit) and sit in the Starbucks, trying not to think about the fact that he helped me pick out my computer in February.

Then I remember we fought about that, too. That helps for oh, about a second.

3 comments:

  1. In those times when I always wanted to badly to respond to his calls, emails, letters, cards, birthday cards, texts, etc... I would usually go for a walk and leave the phone at home, and by the time I got back, I'd cried it out, and temptation would have passed.

    And I also had lots of those "OH, sad, this reminds me of him... and we fought about it" moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you didn't reply! honestly, that "I’m sorry for whatever I did or didn’t do".. if you don't bloody know by now!!!.... well, that just says it all. Eschew this, BN2! (imagine me making impolite gestures at my computer!)

    Happy happy birthday to you lovely beth... alternately cheering for your braveness and wanting to hug you for all the heartbreak and pain. Hope you manage to have a good birthday and hope your friends are taking good care of you. xxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Just think, next birthday, this will all seem so far away (and hopefully much less important!)
    Here's to a wonderful new year full of all that you deserve!

    ReplyDelete